BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

After doing more research than a daily mail journalist looking at Rooney's past, I've finally ditched the run flats and gone to normal rubber. If anyone out there is still wondering if they should then the answer is YES:thumbsup

I do a lot of motorway miles so the tyres don't get that much abuse except at the weekend when the country lanes get a visit, but the one thing that stands out is the lack of tramlining and quieter tyre noise on normal rubber. I'd also say that I've just put 4 Yokohama C Drive 2 which really are good tyres for just under £400 fully fitted.

I'd recommend Hardy Tyres in Telford (on Stafford Park 1). Good service but more importantly they can do the full camera wheel alignment that BMW make such a noise about (and want £200 for!!). Hardy's charge £25 for the front and £25 for the rear and only charge you if it needs adjusting. Try that at a BMW dealer!!! They can't do the King Pin Inclination (not sure what that is anyway) but all the normal castor, camber, toe etc.

Anyway onto the question finally. Has anyone out there used the tyre repair kits that use the needle to put a sticky rubber string into the tyre? Are they any good and do they work?

I'd looked at the usual tyre weld and slime options in the boot but was put off by the thought that the tyre may not be repairable after its been injected. Its really only a get me home option before I get the repair properly sorted but looking for anyone out there with experience of using them.

Cheers all

·
Registered
7 Posts
Halfords were doing a 2-4-1 on tyre weld when I was passing by there the other day.....I got some cause am not really bothered if the tyre can't be repaired as I would get a new one anyway.:thumbsup

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
don't you have room in a tourer for the spare wheel kit?
i'm old fashioned so prefer to have a proper spare

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hiya,

I'd had a look under the carpets, and all the wonderful plastic in the boot but there isn't a wheel well for a spare!! The battery comes too far over to squeeze a space saver in. Did think of putting it in the boot but tend to carry a load of stuff for work so was always going to be an issue.

I would have preferred a proper spare wheel but was wondering about all the alternatives out there. If the tyre weld or kits ain't that good I may end up with the spare in the boot for my own sanity!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
yep one of those motoring conundrums - do i - don't i ? good luck :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
as i said before - i just don't like the idea of throwing away an otherwise perfectly good tyre. I'm lucky my car has the space to house a skinny spare - others don't have the choice.

weight savings are minimal as RFT's are 1/2 as heavy again as conventional tyres

Reactions: Nash

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so I think I'll go belt and braces and carry both the weld and the repair kit just in case. If anyone has used one of the repair kits though drop us a reply.

Cheers all for you help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts