BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - new member, seemed a good place to visit re my query.

My wife's 116d (59 plate) got a flying stonechip initiated crack in its windscreen 4 weeks ago. We had Autoglass out within a day and they seemed to do a quick and effective replacement. Yesterday, we noticed a 10 inch jagged crack running up from the bottom of the new windscreen. On this occasion there had been no incident that had initiated it and, indeed, there is no sign of any impact or chipping - just a thin crack. I am not certain if it is coincidence, but yesterday the car stood out of the garage and there was a heavy frost. I called Autoglass and the operator said they would refer it under their warranty scheme. I subsequently got a call from the Autoglass base that had installed the new screen and who said that they will come out to look tomorrow- but they doubted it would be a stress fracture after 4 weeks.

So my question is really about whether others have had similar experiences. After 30 years of motoring without any previous cracked windscreens I find it hard to imagine that this is not connected to the earlier change. Autoglass trumpet their warranty offering but I am wondering what defense a customer has if they simply say nothing to do with the previous.

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
Almost certainly the screen was chipped before or during the fitting, the frost would have made it split. On our truck screens, about 1 in 10 are damaged on installation. Autoglass should replace it free of charge.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks NealP. Not sure what OEM glass is? I am insured through BMW Insurance - they simply delegate all claims straight through to Autoglass and they simply asked the make and model. Can I request specific type of windscreen replacement?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks NealP. Not sure what OEM glass is? I am insured through BMW Insurance - they simply delegate all claims straight through to Autoglass and they simply asked the make and model. Can I request specific type of windscreen replacement?
OEM glass is BMW supplied (Original Equipment Manufacturer) Autoglass may have fitted an aftermarket equivalent.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update. Autoglass have just been and agreed immediately that it was a stress crack and replaced free of charge - as petrolmarty suggested, he thought that the screen had sustained a minor chip at the base when the original replacement was done and the frost then did the rest. I asked about the OEM option. He said that it was exactly the same screen from the same factory - the only difference being the manufacturer's roundel being absent. Maybe I'm being naive but he seemed experienced and honest so I'm happy to take his guidance on that....as presumably are BMW Insurance who clearly don't insist on OEM replacements.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts