BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Checked on price of 1st 21000 mile service and brake fluid change on 18 month old 530D. Dealer wanted £505.00 for both.
I enquired if I could supply my own engine oil (needs 7.7 litres) and was told I could.
BMW supplied oil £144.00 for 7.7 litres
Halfords BMW oil £82.00 for 10 litres

No contest really.....

I am sure there will be perfectionists out there who 'would only consider BMW supplied oil' but provided it meets the necessary spec, then as far as I am concerned, oil is oil, and as long as it dont invalidate the warranty, then I dont keep the cars long enough to care...LOL!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Mmmm, some would ask why you bought a 2009 BMW if you dont want to pay for it's upkeep? I'm assuming you mean this oil?

Are you not concerned with the serice history on such a new car?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Try a independant before using halfords oil mate, won't do your cars resell value much good on such a new car, unless of coarse you are going to keep the car for a long time.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i have just paid £360 to Birds of Iver for the following 60k oil service

oil service
brake fluid change
micro filters
pollen filters
2 new sidelight bulbs
fog light rear cover replacement

and a nice shiny stamp in the service booklet :)

£505 :eek is well expensive

·
Registered
6,989 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Birds are awesome company they remapped my old 335i, but depends on dealer we charge £13.50lt. We wont warrant customer customer bringing in there own oil. Some dealers dont mind and some do.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
"BMW supplied oil £144.00 for 7.7 litres"

That is £18 a litre. Shop around an get an oil that meets the exact BMW spec then get the dealer to use it. They should confirm there will be no warranty issues, if they get sniffy take your business elsewhere and complain to BMW.

Also, shop around for your service. Dealers are franchised businesses and they can charge what they like. If you have another dealer local they might be cheaper!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I am sure there will be perfectionists out there who 'would only consider BMW supplied oil' but provided it meets the necessary spec, then as far as I am concerned, oil is oil, and as long as it dont invalidate the warranty, then I dont keep the cars long enough to care...LOL!!!
Mine has a BMW Approved Used Car Warranty and I know that since we've gone all European you dont have to go to BMW for the service but you do have to go to a VAT registered garage/mechanic and you have to use genuine parts, wether that means a specific oil or just any old LL01 or LL04 I'm not sure tbh, best to check first though. :thumbsup

As I always say, it's your car and I would never assume to tell you how to spend your hard earned. If you want to fit cheapo tyres? Fine as long as your not hooning down the motorway at 150mph. If you want to cover it in carbon fibre and fit a huge DTM rear wing? All good but sub-standard oil? Noooooooooooooooooooo!!! Oil is oil? No, it is'nt.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
As is £360, fck me gently that's extorsion for that.
not in London it isn't mate - all relative to wages,house prices etc etc
London is expensive - period :frown

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Try a independent before using halfords oil mate, won't do your cars resell value much good on such a new car, unless of coarse you are going to keep the car for a long time.
Nothing wrong with using Halfords oil. They have oil specced up for most makes and labeled,individually, as such. Bear in mind that they do not make oil, just repackage it so a LL4 BMW full synthetic is exactly what it says on the tin and every bit as good as what BMWs own (also relabeled) stuff is. BMW do not make oil either they also buy in bulk from a major supplier and repackage it.............just like Halfords do! It conforms to spec so cannot affect the warranty either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
BMW's dont re-label their oil, their oil partner is Castrol and they sell Castrol oil (or at least my local main dealer does). Morrison's sell petrol that meets the required specification and your car will run on but it's still sh!t.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
BMW's dont re-label their oil, their oil partner is Castrol and they sell Castrol oil (or at least my local main dealer does). Morrison's sell petrol that meets the required specification and your car will run on but it's still sh!t.
So unless BMW sell cans of oil labeled CASTROL OIL it is relabeled, as is Halfords. You are talking about their business partners, as in, they buy their products en mass. Also Morrisons petrol meets a generic government minimum standard and does not have to include additives, Halfords relabeled stuff meets a specific BMW requirement for lubricity, ash, wear, sheer, detergent, particle suspension etc, and has to include all additive packages as specified to meet LL04, longlife 04 and stay in the engine for up to about 30,000 miles. I would wager a substantial bet in fact that even Comma dont make the oil to meet this but buy it in because it cost £££££ to test and prepare oils to meet such exacting specs and generally only the larger oil companies, Shell, Mobil, yes Castrol, will spend on doing this as they have to conduct thousands of hours of lab and engine running tests to do so. They could not use the labeling to say it meets the specs until all the test results have been submitted to BMW to confirm this. The fact that the oil also meets a VW standard for Pump Duse engines is a massive bonus because the shear requirement for PD engines is higher than pretty much any engine ever built (except the Ford Pinto but that never had such good oil as we see today even though they still use it to test shear in engine oils).

Yup I would be totally confident using Halfords oils and just as confident using any other maker that produces oil to meet the exact standards for BMW LL04, fully synthetic too...........

Just for info, I worked for the AA in the early 90's when they were developing the very first true longlife synthetics for their vans. Shell and Castrol both had a hand in testing and I have no doubt that the millions of miles driven and testing was used in their other products. The car manufacturers allowed their engine warranties to stand even though the oils we tested did not meet their specs simply because we tested the oils to a spec way in excess of those manufacturers requirements. What I am saying here is that if your own oil meets several different manufacturers specs it has to be quite a long way above their (a single manufacturer) own in many cases to meet all of the others.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So unless BMW sell cans of oil labeled CASTROL OIL it is relabeled...
BMW dealers have a bulk tank - in that tank will be Castrol SLX Professional BMW LL04 - this will service virtually all the cars they see, apart from the odd M series needing a 10W-60. They also sell this in 1 Litre 'top up' bottles which are Gold with a red cap and clearly say Castrol on the front, you will struggle to find a main dealer that will sell you a 4 litre bottle, instead they'll send you somewhere else probably Halfords to buy the equivilent Castrol edge. Obviously I can't speak for every BMW across the country but this is what Stratstone BMW in Chesterfield use and it's them who supply my warranty.

Just for info, I worked for the AA in the early 90's.....
With the greatest of respect kwempe that was 20 years ago and while I'm sure you are a 'very, very nice man' yellowduck's car is a 2009. Maybe he should ask his warranty supplier if he can use Halford's oil and in all probability they'll have no option but to say yes as it's LL04 but as I tell my kids, just good enough is'nt good enough.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Random question - isn't all this LL01/LL04 bollocks just a load of marketing hype? Obviously the LL bit means Long Life so surely this 'requirement' for the engine is only of any relevance for those that don't give a toss about their cars engine and leave it until 15k/2years before having it serviced? Can't speak for everyone on here but certainly there's a large number here that like to change the oil and filters around 6k miles regardless, hence making the Long Life aspect null and avoid. If you're going to change it around the 6k mark then any decent brand fully synthetic oil would suffice without specifically needing to meet LL01/4.

Anyone see the point I'm trying to make here? :confused

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
LL04 has a lower Sulphur content than LL01 specifically for modern Diesels.

I see your train of thought, but LL doesn't mean to say that at 20k miles it is instantly scrap, there will be deterioration over time, and any extension to that has to be a bonus. Whilst many of us are careful, change oil, etc, if your car is secondhand and thraped, misused, etc, even regular oil changes can't retrospectively repair damage.

LL oils benefit fleet users as it keeps costs down, as it does for the private owner too.

Never changed the oil in any of my BMW's outside the recommendations. If the car did short journeys, spent it's life on the limiter, then I would change that view. Used to drop the oil out of bikes after every track day for example.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Anyone see the point I'm trying to make here? :confused
I see the point you're trying to make but I don't believe that the LL bit is marketing hype. I change my oil myself at around 6000 and take it to the main dealer for it's servicing at the required interval to keep my service history up to date but I still use Castrol Edge which is around the same RRP as any other decent synthetic oil and a genuine filter from BMW. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone who cares enough about their engine to change the oil every 6000 miles is going to use Halfords own.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I see the point you're trying to make but I don't believe that the LL bit is marketing hype. I change my oil myself at around 6000 and take it to the main dealer for it's servicing at the required interval to keep my service history up to date but I still use Castrol Edge which is around the same RRP as any other decent synthetic oil and a genuine filter from BMW. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone who cares enough about their engine to change the oil every 6000 miles is going to use Halfords own.
Quite the contrary Jon . I managed 250k miles on the original engine on an old Nova GTE using Halfords own brand recommended oil for that engine (less a couple of times trying Castrol Magnatec) and the car certainly didn't get an easy life from my right foot :hihi. As mentioned by someone else, Halfords own brand is actually Comma Oil & Chemicals who are no two-bit company when it comes to lubricants. :)

ETA: It's worth noting that Comma are owned by Esso so the Mobil1 5-40 you pay £££ for at the garage is highly likely to be the same 5-40 found in a Halfords bottle for the half the price.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts