BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2009 E61 520D 177bhp - worth buying BMW warranty?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  nightrider 
#1 ·
Hi,
does anyone recommend buying a BMW warranty for a 2009 E61 520D?

I've been on the BMW website (https://www.bmw-warranty.co.uk/) and the quote is £58/month with £250 excess (or 75/month with £100 excess). So this would work out around £700/yr.
Both do not include the £9/month extra for the Emergency Breakdown Cover, as I have cover separately.

I've read some of the horror stories of the N47 2.0 litre diesel engine so I'm a litlte panicked of what could go wrong. As ever, it's usually only the negative stories we read though, and not the "My 120/320/520D has done 200000+ miles...."

The car I will be purchasing this month is a private sale from my boss at work. It's got 57000miles on the clock, and full BMW service history. I know he bought it from BMW Main Dealer <24 months ago and hasn't had any problems with it since owning. And it's been back there recently for Service and new tyres.

The production date of the car was May 2009, so I wondered if this later version of the engine benefitted from any modifications/improvements?

Just looking for some collective guidance.

Your views are always appreciated,

thank you in advance,
Gareth

See less See more
#2 ·
does anyone recommend buying a BMW warranty for a 2009 E61 520D?
TBH I would not have one of the N47 engines without a warranty
The production date of the car was May 2009, so I wondered if this later version of the engine benefitted from any modifications/improvements?
I have seen cars up to 2011 with timing chain problems

#4 ·
As far as I can make out from reading the blurb on the website and various forum posts, if/once I agree to take out the warranty (at £58/month since it's still below 60k miles) the price is fixed forever more.
i.e. the warranty doesn't run out in 12 months it just keeps going, month after month until I cancel. At £58/month
I understand this is one of the advantages of taking out the warranty before you cross the 60k miles mark, when the prices shoot up.

#5 ·
Text Font Line Parallel Number

between 60k to 100k miles its the following prices for fully comp, which is the one I think ill go for - works out to be £52 per month.

Comprehensive

Over 60,000 Miles

Incl Emergency Service Annual

Incl Emergency Service Monthly

No Emergency Service Annual

No Emergency Service Monthly

£100 Excess

£863

£79

£774

£72

£250 Excess

£647

£59

£559

£52

I hope that helps.

Izzy

#6 ·
Izzy, I didnt get those prices. What website did you use?

The on-line quote I got was £58/month, for the £250 excess policy.
This price was also confirmed when I rang them earlier today also (trying to negotiate).
This was with 57k miles on the clock also, for a 520D E61.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.