BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have owned the above car for eleven months and it has failed twice, both times ignition coil failure.Under warranty BMW replaced one coil and,three months later at the second failure all four coils plus plugs;they also replaced the EGR valve.
The car was bought from a BMW dealer but what they don't tell you is the car's history from new. I suspect that the previous owner had the same problem.
My warranty is up soon and BMW are offering to extend it for 12months for £438 for comphrehensive cover.Is the ignition coil problem something I can expect to happen repeatedly with this model? Any comments on the warranty would be appreciated in terms of how responsive BMW are to accepting responsibility when repairs are needed.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Exactly the same model & year as mine, & I've never had that problem.

Its 6 months since they replaced the complete set of coils, so if you had no problems since, I would suspect the problems been fixed.

Previous owners details will be on your V5, so if you wanted it would be fairly easy to contact them & ask if it was a previous problem. I've twice been contacted asking questions about previous cars I've owned & both times have been happy to give relevant information.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Your replacement coils should be covered by BMW for two years after fitment, this independent of the used approved warranty so go in and ask for proof that they were changed. You can also ask for the warranty record for your car from new and they should be able to print that out and give it to you too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Ignition Coils are only £28 each, so not sure about the £400+ for the cover really, the injectors may cost more but you would need all 4 to fail in the next 12 months to get your moneys worth.

imho put £40 a month a side, if it does need a £480 repair you havent really lost out, if it doesnt need any repairs youll have £480 in your back pocket after 12 months

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the replies.I will take the advice and get the BMW dealer to confirm the replaced coils are on extended guarantee.I have lost a bit of confidence in the car after it has failed twice in a short time.Last year a member of my family had the same problem with repeated coil failure on a VW Golf which I know is pure coincidence but was a real pain.
I think I will start a breakdown kitty as suggested, bit sad though after spending nearly £20k on the car.
Advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I would go with the £438 BMW warranty personally. BMW's warranty is copper bottomed and it only takes a few minor things to go wrong for you to equal that in claim value. Remember that their labour rates are around £100 / hour. At the end of the day, what price peace of mind?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Cicero, I agree with vista, the labour cost for any diagnosis will exceed £100 and the warranty is good in terms of coverage so £438 seems reasonable if you don't want to self insure with a kitty . I have the same car but in manual form and I had a hesitance and faint misfire which I detected immediately after purchase in July resulting in replacement of all 4 coil packs and spark plugs. hope that is the last problem but I doubt it!
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts