BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All,

I am soon going to buy 2008 BMW 320D touring but want to know a specific thing?

The cars I have seen on autotrader although being 2008 320D have either combined fuel consumption of 57.6mpg if 08 or 58 reg or 47.6 if 57 reg?

I have tried to browse around net to find whether there were any changes done to engine around that time but couldn't find any concrete info as to why there is this difference?

Can somebody please shed some light?

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
The later 57 plates (with N47 engine and straight exhaust tail pipe) has the lower emissions and the part Eff-Dynamic engine (stop start), lower tax band (£110 pa) etc. It's also 177bhp instead of 163...

I suspect the Autotrader has it wrong on the actual plates.
Real figures are closer to 40 anyway from my own experience.

If I had my own time again I would go for a 56 plater as I never use the stop-start in town and I gather the more efficient ones have more stuff to go wrong (based on other users here)... that said, the some later 58/09 models have the facelift which I do like the look of, visually.

My own car is an 2008 57 plate, so looks older than it is!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Tax is only £80 a year on the 318, i have a 57 plate touring and on the motorway i can see 57mpg easy 80mph cruise on, round town it never goes below 43.

Stop start is a bit of a pita, but you get used to it, although your passengers don't lol

I have the N47 Engine, 143bhp

The 320 has the newer N47 introduced in Oct 2009 with 163bhp

the 123D has the 204BHP version

All 2.0 x 4 cylinder
The newer Eff Dyn <2009> has different wheels which help with fuel economy and a slightly different shape, this is supposed to be the most fuel effecient 3 series.

Just to throw another spanner in the works, the 318 i have produces 125 co2, the 2009 320D produces 109 co2 with a 0-60 time of 8.6 secs too, cost for road tax for a year on a 2009 320D is a whopping 20 quid :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dear All,

Thanks for all your replies.

The car I am going to look at is 2008 177bhp manual with auto start and stop and brake regeneration. It will come with 1 year warranty from dealer.

Are there any issues with these cars I need to be aware of and is this the one with better fuel efficiency?

Thanks again

·
Registered
124 Posts
Sounds like it's the efficient dynamics model, like mine. However, don't get too exited about the mpg, the BMW figures are way OTT. Mine is supposed to "average" 52mpg, but I would regard this as a maximum mpg under normal slow motorway cruising (c70). I have had 56 mpg, but this was not proper driving, just seeing what I could actually acheive.

In winter, if I do mainly urban driving, I struggle to get into the 40's - although it is an auto.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have been experimenting with fuels over the past year and the mpg seems broadly similar for all of them - even supermarket diesel.

However, Shell seems the most smooth for the engine to me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts