BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey
First time BMW driver, got a 320dSE EditionTouring '08 ... a beautiful car in every respect, but the first rear drive car I've owned, so i've queries about the way it handles.
Nothing horrendous, but it does tug a little here n'there, and now and again has an unnerving feel that its 'slipped' for want of a better description - and im talking 30-40mph over local inner city roads rather than putting the tail out on some super fast A road. Nothing that puts me off course or feels dangerous, but just needs a fraction of correction - and as i say now and again i get a sensation that its slipped ...is this the Traction control? or is it rear wheel drive? or is it wrong?
Feels pretty sure footed in every other respect, and the one thing i read about more than anything was its handling, but it feels a little odd to me. Is this something id get used to or something wrong with the alignment?
I did have to have an alloy replaced but it had this behaviour before and after so i dunno that im being just a bit green about it - but as i say it makes me just a fraction nervous, is that right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dunno - probably a little - but as i say its more the little 'slip' sensation that bothers me more than any tugging in one direction. Probably not describing it very well, but its almost like the car goes over a slippy bit of road and you feel it through the wheel then its gone ... but it puts the hairs up on yer neck for that milisecond. Maybe i should chill out about it. Its a bloody lovely car otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This may sound a little boy racerish, but if this your first rear wheel drive i would take it somewhere with some wide open space and have a bit of fun trying to kick the back end out so you really know the cars limits that way you will get a better feel for the car and be a bit more confident.

It could be a problem of course tyr the simple things first like have the tracking done and making sure all your wheel pressures are correct

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Aye its got 17'' factory fit run flats, but pressures checked and sensors re-set ... any idea what itd actually be when people blame run flats? i put it down to traction control - just seems odd to have such a huccup on a car famed for its handling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
This is happening to me sometimes on wide tires. If your tires are more than 205 mm wide (225 and more), they are way too wide to fit in 'road rails' as we call them in Slovakia. By 'road rails' I mean the deepened tracks on the road, where the asphalt is deeper where a lot of trucks/heavy cars ran over a longer period of time. Can't describe it better, sorry, I believe you know what I mean.

So, if driving with wide tires, these tracks lead your car to left and right just as you described, the feeling is like a slippery spot which 'throws' the car a bit to the side.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I think you may be experiencing a liitle tramlining, where the car follows contours in the road, also, the Run Flats will give a slightly floaty sensation. IMO the steering on the e90's isn't as full of feel as it could be either. You will become accustomed over time, but hardly reassuring when your confidence goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this 'slip' you are talking of. I also know tramlining and the two are quite different. There is one road and one road only round my parts that give me this 'slip' sensation. There is a bump in the road that makes the back end feel like it steps out or 'slips'. This becomes really noticable if the rear bushings are worn and need replaced.

·
Registered
989 Posts
How much tread on the tyres lol my last bmw was on the min and it slipped and slid even at low speeds new tyres and perfect but rft are quite ruff specialy if the roads are too if the car was actually slipping the traction control light would flick even on the smallest slip

·
Registered
8 Posts
How much tread on the tyres lol my last bmw was on the min and it slipped and slid even at low speeds new tyres and perfect but rft are quite ruff specialy if the roads are too if the car was actually slipping the traction control light would flick even on the smallest slip
Yep, I'm only just slightly legal on one tyre. I have a new one on the way.

Hopefully this fixes it

Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
166 Posts
Aye its got 17'' factory fit run flats, but pressures checked and sensors re-set ... any idea what itd actually be when people blame run flats? i put it down to traction control - just seems odd to have such a huccup on a car famed for its handling.
It's tramlining. Mine does it too (E90). It was explained to me by a garage that wide tyres have a tramlining affect, but it's more pronounced with run-flats as there's no flex in the sidewalls of the tyres (that would have otherwise absorbed most of the movement), hence it feels like you are losing control or jerking the steering. Normal tyres handle tramlining better as the tyre is able to flex and the feeling isn't felt as much through the handling of the car. My mate used to have a 2008 E90 that did the same until he replaced all for corners with non-runflats, and the problem almost disappeared.

Eventually, i've got used to it, i know the local roads where it happens badly and i know when to expect to correct it. One of the E90's little quirks you learn to live with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Deffo run flats,ive got a 320 tourer Msport
the handling is supperb but around town
ie crap road surface and the run flats you
can feel the car yielding to the tram lines.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If it was my car as said above I would get the alignment checked and then get all the bushes checked take it somewhere competent for the alignment few places are.
E9x chassis is excellent and should feel solid on the road at all times if it doesn't there is probably something wrong with it in my opinion.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah you really shouldn't be getting much if this tramlining if your tyres are all decent, your alignment is right and suspension etc! I Don't have any problems with my 320d on continental run flats .. Recently had a hunter alignment done, but tbh it was ok before really.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts