BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've just registered on the forum as I'm after some help with a new 3 series.

I've just changed my E46 320d tourer for a 2008 E91 320d M Sport Tourer. Although the car's great, last week when I left for work in the morning I noticed I seemed to be significantly down on power. Being new to the car, I assumed it was a function of the ECU to protect the engine when it was cold, when the problem continued all day I guessed I was wrong!

Essentially, what I was getting was significantly increased turbo lag. There was no responsiveness and the turbo wasn't kicking in unitl 2500+ rpm. So when I floored it in sixth on the dual carrigeway there was no pick up at all. There were no EML lights on the dash and no indication that anything was wrong, other than the significant loss in performance.

What's even stranger, I stopped for fuel that lunchtime and when I restarted the car it was back to normal. I then went to drive home in the evening and the problem re-surfaced. Again, I took it out that evening and it was fine again and its been fine for the last three days.

It's in the dealer today, but I suspect they'll tell me nothing's wrong as far as they can see as the problem's dissapeared again. I was really just after some suggestions or feedback from anyone who'd had a similar issue. Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
It needs the live data looking at if there are no codes on the car, driving the car with the diagnostic equipment attached and then looking at the data after should hold the key to the problem if it plays up on them whilst being driven.

We had one member who had a problem with his EGR control, as yours is more intermittent I would doubt it would be this though

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the pointers.

Went in to the dealers yesterday and it failed a MAF test as a result of a faulty turbo actuator according to the technician. Although I had no Engine Management light come on the fault had abviously been logged, clever things these modern BMW engines!

Apparently the turbo actuator is a common problem with this engine and its on the BMW P.U.M.A list? - Parts Under Manufacturer Assesment?? I have read of people having similar problems on this and other forums so it might be worth noting, assuming it solves the problem of course!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.