BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my E90 for about a month now and I've already collected a stone chip on the windscreen which has caused a crack about 3 inches long :mad. The crack is at the top of the screen on the passenger side, but out of the swept area of the wipers. I think this means it's still legal?? and would pass an MOT if that was relevant.

My insurance will not cover an OEM windscreen - Autoglass quoted £850 ish if I wanted a BMW screen. They claim however that the screens are made in the same factory and are identical other than the BMW logo. But I'd like some re-assurance from anyone who's been through the process.

Question is, has anyone had their screen replaced by Autoglass on their E90? Can you also advise on the screen quality and whether it comes with the rain sensor built in to the glass? I've read some horror stories about leaking screens, damaged trim and non working auto wipers following a change. Given the size and location of the crack I'm tempted just to leave it and avoid any potential issues until I have no choice. In the meantime any feedback would be great. Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
RAC replaced my screen with an OEM one, which was approved by my insurance...very impressed with it. The quality of work all comes down to fitting, so it is better to have an experienced fitter than a novice one. Pilkington and Saint-Gobain Sekurit make BMW glass, so make sure this is what you get...without the BMW roundel of course :thumbsup

·
Registered
611 Posts
Had the windscreen done on my E46 a couple of weeks ago by Autoglass - its fine, not OEM, but it is Pilkington. No leaks etc - the guy did a good job.

If you have the rain sensor then you need to make sure they turn up with the right one - my unccle had an issue with his X5 when they rocked up with the right screen but no sensor despite being told otherwise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have the rain sensor then you need to make sure they turn up with the right one - my unccle had an issue with his X5 when they rocked up with the right screen but no sensor despite being told otherwise.
Thanks for the heads up. I take it that means that sensor is actually part of the screen? I do have the rain sensor in the screen and was worried they'd need to bodge the current one onto the new screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
who is your insurance co? I have had experience with insurance and usually they NOT autoglass /rac etc say they wont pay for oem parts but if you ring and gently pursade them they usually will pay on more expensive cars. Also as autoglass have said they can still fit an oem glass but you will have to pay the difference of cost between the glass they can buy and what a dealer charges ( could be anywhere between £1 - -£150) . The screen as they say is from where bmw will get it pilkington , sadfevue etc but just will not carry the important logo. If a glass is got from dealer they cannot tell you the make but just it will have logo. Autoglass are the only windscreen company on the market who offer a lifetime guarantee and are by far the largest so iam sure you wont have any probs and IF you do they will be sorte very quickly. Also when he replaces screen if it does have sensor do not allow him to leave key in or near car as it will bugger the rain sensor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glass is glass!

As long as the correct type of screen is fitted (ie with a rain sensor) you should not have a problem providing that you follow the golden rule......

Dont SPEAK to anybody! Email only! A written record is priceless in case of problems. Also always get the name of the person you are dealing with. With a copy of written correspondance and clear instructions you have a cast iron case in case of any issues.

Personally there are many things that I would pay more for but a windscreen is not one of them!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I had my E46 done by Autoglass last week. Having heard people's experiences with the rain sensor screens, I was crystal clear (boom boom) to Autoglass about which model I had, how it was tinted, and that it had a rain sensor. They arrived with the right screen & all went very smoothly - my auto wipers work better than they've done for a while :lol

On the flipside... my wife's Astra TwinTop needed a new screen last year, so Autoglass turned up, took the old screen out, and went to put the new one in - except it was about 5cm taller than the existing screen :eek They'd brought one out for a SportHatch, not a TwinTop. It took 3 days to get the correct screen from Vauxhall, meanwhile the SportHatch screen was all taped in place to keep the rain out - and the car couldn't be driven of course :mad The manager of the responsible Autoglass loaned my wife his Audi A3 company car whilst hers was off the road, which was a good gesture. Autoglass reckoned it was Vauxhall's screw-up... :confused

Sorry, just noticed the topic title - shouldn't this be in the E90 bit? I think E90 & E46 screens are different (probably not to Autoglass mind) :)

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
My experiences with them were not good. They put the screen half inch too far over on my old 318i. I wouldnt use them again. I would rather pay out of my own pocket than let the insurance send them again...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.