BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,

My old man has a 2008 635d and has had a few problems with it, but likey its all been sorted under warrenty lol.

1. Was wanting to know if anyone her has had problems or knows of common
things on this model to go wrong?

2. If anyone on here also has one whats the mpg you get?

thx

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have a look here Stu http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=694

At the moment they are a bit new to know the full story on them but I'm sure the main dealers will know some info.

One thing I know is the Adaptive headlights have a ECU on the bottom of each headlight, the headlights "sweat" and get condensation in them over time, this drops to the bottom of the headlight and gets into the ECUs resulting in headlight problems, the ECUs are £270 each :eek number 2 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH72&mospid=47766&btnr=63_0822&hg=63&fg=05

Headlights are £1025 each! :eek NO that isn't a typo. number 1 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EH72&mospid=47766&btnr=63_0830&hg=63&fg=05

9000th post!

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
hi,

My old man has a 2008 635d and has had a few problems with it, but likey its all been sorted under warrenty lol.

1. Was wanting to know if anyone her has had problems or knows of common
things on this model to go wrong?

2. If anyone on here also has one whats the mpg you get?

thx
Unleszs it's a long term 'keeper' a 2008 6 series should be pretty much faultless? What problems has he had?

·
Registered
63 Posts
i've got a 635d convertible and get 38mpg on the motorway and about 30mpg in the city. Mines a 2008 57 reg, bought it from the dealers in June/July this year. Took it straight back to them as there was a problem with the solenoid connecting the 2 turbos, basically at times my car would just rev and very very slowly accelerate when my foot was welded to the floor! Got it sorted under warranty thankfully.

Car also went in to the dealers a couple of weeks ago as when you fold the passenger seat forward you get a message saying 'passenger seat back not locked', this should go off when the seat is folded back, however mine stayed on. This electric head rest also stopped working. Turned out my seat needed a new frame and mechanical switch. Spent nearly 3 days for them to sort it!

Other than that the car is brilliant! Thinking of maybe doing a remap as well.

Actually 1 other fault occurred the other day, opened the roof for the first time in a couple of months, it sounded like an almight struggle and then the red light on the convertible button was blinking red. Had to close and then reopen the hood, seems to have been fine since though... could this be a 1 off or has anyone had experiences of this?

Obviously I wont be opening the hood much in the winter so is there anything I can do to maintain it?

·
Banned
1,871 Posts

Actually 1 other fault occurred the other day, opened the roof for the first time in a couple of months, it sounded like an almight struggle and then the red light on the convertible button was blinking red. Had to close and then reopen the hood, seems to have been fine since though... could this be a 1 off or has anyone had experiences of this?

Obviously I wont be opening the hood much in the winter so is there anything I can do to maintain it?
Common E64 issue - there are numerous sensors around the hood area whih are notoriously fragile and temperature sensitive. There's no maintenance and some folk open/close fully each week, although I've never bothered and the 1st sensor died last year (6 years). Not too pricey to fix - about £150 a pop for parts and labour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Common E64 issue - there are numerous sensors around the hood area whih are notoriously fragile and temperature sensitive. There's no maintenance and some folk open/close fully each week, although I've never bothered and the 1st sensor died last year (6 years). Not too pricey to fix - about £150 a pop for parts and labour.
Thanks Neal, I might just try the opening and closing every now and then to see if it happens, ideally if something is going to go wrong I want it to before next summer when my warranty expires!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.