BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My e61 535d went in for oil service in Nov last year, so 2 - 3 months ago, and I've just cheched the oil level on the diplay and it has given a warning "Oil Level to High" Is this serious, could it result in any in any long term damage to the engine.
I know you had to be very careful with over filling the Impreza's I used to run before the BMW. just thought I'd check if any one has any advice before I contact the Dealer

Rumy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
My e61 535d went in for oil service in Nov last year, so 2 - 3 months ago, and I've just cheched the oil level on the diplay and it has given a warning "Oil Level to High" Is this serious, could it result in any in any long term damage to the engine.
I know you had to be very careful with over filling the Impreza's I used to run before the BMW. just thought I'd check if any one has any advice before I contact the Dealer

Rumy
Hi Rumy

Is the warning in Orange or Red ?

If you took it to a dealer, should take it back and get them to sort it out.
and try squeezing them into some compansation for their error.
Always worth a try

·
Registered
71 Posts
i overfilled my 200 sx once and it just burnt it and chucked it out through the exhaust. Was like the batmobile doing a smokescreen lol. No damage though just took it to a garage and they pumped it out through the dipstick hole

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ace999,
The warning is Orange not red. I didn't really bother with it when I picked it up to be honest. It was a main dealer and I thought it would be fine. I only checked it today as I was thinking it's first MOT would be due soon, and I seemed to remember it would tell you the date soime whare in settings. I only noticed then!

It seems stange that a dealer would overfill it, as they do it all day!

I'm more concerned about long term damage as I've only had the car 10 months.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Contrary to some other opinions given, overfilling an engine with oil is definitely not good for it and should be avoided. You should drain the oil level down to the correct level on dip stick.

How far over the max mark on the dip stick is it?

A point raised above is valid, fuel dilution of the sump oil isn't good for your engine either and will cause the sump level to rise.

Personally I'd be surprised if a dealer over filled the sump, for a number of reasons.

1. They know how much it should take
2. The last thing they should do before signing the job off is dip it to check the level.
3. This oil isn't cheap so they're unlikely to waste it.

Are you certain that the high level alarm has been on for three months? I'd see about draining some off and doing a viscosity comparison test with some new oil.

It's quite a straight forward test. Get a clean tin can and drill a hole in the bottom. Put a known quantity of sump oil into it and time how long it takes to drain through the hole. The repeat this test with new oil (at the same temperature) and compare the two times. If the sump oil runs out much faster then it's probably fuel diluted.

·
Registered
183 Posts
have checked oil manually with dipstick?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Do you do a lot of shortish journeys? Could be fuel dillution due to aborted or failed DPF regenerations. If you suspect this DO NOT just drain a bit off. Do a full oil change and adapt your driving habits to be DPF friendly.
Whatever you find though, get the oil level sorted ASAP or you could end up with diesel runaway. This is when a diesel engine starts to run to run on its own sump oil, unthrottled until it blows up. Youl would not be able to switch off if this happens either.YouTube - Runaway Diesel Defender 200 TDI

·
Platinum BFuk Member
244 Posts
Thanks Ace999,
The warning is Orange not red. I didn't really bother with it when I picked it up to be honest. It was a main dealer and I thought it would be fine. I only checked it today as I was thinking it's first MOT would be due soon, and I seemed to remember it would tell you the date soime whare in settings. I only noticed then!

It seems stange that a dealer would overfill it, as they do it all day!

I'm more concerned about long term damage as I've only had the car 10 months.
Rumy

Take it back to the dealer and get them to drain out the oil and refil it to the correct amount, and also get them to check over the car for you again.
they will do it for free, if not ARGUE!

the key stores all faults on it so they will have record of it, orange is a warning, red is a problem.

keep us updated on your progress :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry been at work so just seen posts,

Thanks for all your advice, I have spoke to dealer and they have asked for the car for a full day so they can check it over from cold. As I said in my second post i thought it was stange that a dealer would over fill it, which brings other faults to mind.

Kwempe, your post is very interesting... how long is a dpf regeneratioon supposed to take from start up ? sorry thats a bit lazy, I'll do a search for it ! :D Could be not using the car much over Christmas, just the odd trip to tescos etc causing failed regens ?

I'll check this with dealer, who have been helpfull by the way, and offered to collect the car and drop it off !

Thanks Rumy

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Sorry been at work so just seen posts,

Thanks for all your advice, I have spoke to dealer and they have asked for the car for a full day so they can check it over from cold. As I said in my second post i thought it was stange that a dealer would over fill it, which brings other faults to mind.

Kwempe, your post is very interesting... how long is a dpf regeneratioon supposed to take from start up ? sorry thats a bit lazy, I'll do a search for it ! :D Could be not using the car much over Christmas, just the odd trip to tescos etc causing failed regens ?

I'll check this with dealer, who have been helpfull by the way, and offered to collect the car and drop it off !

Thanks Rumy
The engine will need to be quite warm before a regen even starts. You can notice it if your car is an auto it will hold onto the lower gears, a bit like in sport mode. The regen will last from about 5 to 20 minutes and the car, ideally, should not be switched off whilst this is taking place. If it is, the car will try another regen the next time it is up to temperature. The trouble is the DPF will cause more and more back pressure and the regen will be dumping fuel through the engine and it gets past the rings and into the sump.
A sucessful regen will leave the car feeling hot and smelly when you get out and you can often notice it has a bit more poke too. The best bit is, a sucessful regen will have burnt the excess fuel off that it dumps through the engine. People say it just runs rich but it does not. After the combustion cycle an additional injection pulse takes place once the exhaust valve opens and it is this that goes down the exhaust and into the DPF to help it burn off the soot.
Too many failed regens and the oil gets degraded and even more dangerous, the level goes up due to the diesel fuel mixing with it. Too much and diesel runaway can occur. The car will rev its nuts off running on sump oil and will not switch off.

All scary stuff, of course it could just have been overfilled but would you not have noticed earlier if the dealer had done this? If you suspect your sump oil has been diluted IT WILL NEED AN OIL CHANGE. Don't just accept some of it being drained. You dont want your engine being lubricated by diluted oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Kwempe, thanks for the reply.

The more i think about this, the more I think your idea about the dpf regens is the culprit. I've been doing alot of 10 min' journeys lately, kids to school then 10 mins to work etc. The cold weather and the engine never getting hot makes me thing this could be the cause.

On checking the dipstick the oil is only about 3- 5mm over max aand looks clean but I am gonig to insist oil is changed on you advice.

When I get the car back, I'll take it for a good run for an hour or 2, and check coolant temps get nice and hot using that "secret menu".

Me thinks an adaptation of driving will be required during cold weather as I do a lot more miles in the summer.

Going in this week so I'll keep all posted on the outcome of its visit to dealer, and what they say.

ps, that vid of runaway looks bloody terrifying !!

Ta, Rumy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Another warning to those who do short journeys is that the check facility on the column stalk shows "check ok, No faults" so you must manually check your levels in the idrive or on the dipstick, as no warning messages are given.
This may be different if the warning goes to Red, but as yet, if you dont check it yourslf manually, pref on the dipstick, you may not nip this sort of thing in the bud before its to late !!

Technology makes you lazy, whereby you tend to think these advanced cars will tell you when somthings wrong. Remember your Old School checks !:thumbsup
Bit of a lesson for me!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Keep us posted how ya get on.
Also if you do notice your car start to regen just hold it at a steady speed on a lower gear (think your sig says its manual gears?) about 3000rpm and 75ish mph. It is not so easy to see when a manual regens though, just the engine note changes a little and the revs dont drop off so quick coming of the throttle.
The above will also help burn off some soot even if a regen is not taking place, passive regeneration they call it and being an 08 model yours should do it quite well as your DPF is right near the engine. After a successful regen the car will make a ting ting ting sound as the exhaust cools and will probably smell like it does when Paddy is Tarmacing!

Right too about old fashioned checks, don't be a dipstick, have a look at one is the message!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
check the high pressure diesel pump on the engine. my mercede's engine oil would increase everytime it has an oil change.
the high pressure pump runs off the engine and if the seals go it will leak DIESEL into the oil.
PROBABLY very small quantities but will build up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts