1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Today, 11:59 AM
olidonog

Mein auto: Merc (soon BMW 650i)
View My Garage
Help! Motor oil into the power steering oil.
2008 550i

Hi all, first post from me and its a panicked one!

Basically I have been a muppet, my new beauty had the oil light come on whilst i was on the motorway. Acceleration seemed to decrease however I stopped after about 10 miles at the next services and bought some more oil. However my manual is in German and had no description of the engine at all, just the gadgets inside the car.

Basically i found the 'oil only' cap however it was pretty small. I thought it was weird until I realised that there was another cap advertising castol on the side of the engine. SH%T! Basically I think I have filled the powersteering oil resevoir with motoroil.

The car is now at Prague airport! However I had to drive it the final 20 miles as it was 4am on a sunday, in a foreign country, and I had a flight to catch.

I have spoken to the local BMW garage now I am back in the UK who were less than useful. Is there any advice from anyone??

1. Should I use a turkey baster and pull as much out as I can, then fill with the correct CHF oil? Maybe do it a second time?

2. Does the resevoir actually circulate around the steering? If so will it be OK if I do the turkey baster and then get it all flushed out at BMW? However it will mean a 70 mile motorway drive before then.

3. Is this likely to cause some damage and is there anything I can do in order to minimise/stop any damage?

I cannot seem to find any BMW garages that will come out and do anything to the car (I need to get it towed I guess? except its in a muylti-story car park at the airport).

Less abuse for being an idiot and some advice would be awesome!:embarrassed

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think best to drain all the oil and refill with ATF/power sreering oil. Do this a couple times to remove all traces of engine oil
We all make mistakes.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Today, 11:59 AM
olidonog

Mein auto: Merc (soon BMW 650i)
View My Garage
Help! Motor oil into the power steering oil.
2008 550i

Hi all, first post from me and its a panicked one!

Basically I have been a muppet, my new beauty had the oil light come on whilst i was on the motorway. Acceleration seemed to decrease however I stopped after about 10 miles at the next services and bought some more oil. However my manual is in German and had no description of the engine at all, just the gadgets inside the car.

Basically i found the 'oil only' cap however it was pretty small. I thought it was weird until I realised that there was another cap advertising castol on the side of the engine. SH%T! Basically I think I have filled the powersteering oil resevoir with motoroil.

The car is now at Prague airport! However I had to drive it the final 20 miles as it was 4am on a sunday, in a foreign country, and I had a flight to catch.

I have spoken to the local BMW garage now I am back in the UK who were less than useful. Is there any advice from anyone??

1. Should I use a turkey baster and pull as much out as I can, then fill with the correct CHF oil? Maybe do it a second time?

2. Does the resevoir actually circulate around the steering? If so will it be OK if I do the turkey baster and then get it all flushed out at BMW? However it will mean a 70 mile motorway drive before then.

3. Is this likely to cause some damage and is there anything I can do in order to minimise/stop any damage?

I cannot seem to find any BMW garages that will come out and do anything to the car (I need to get it towed I guess? except its in a muylti-story car park at the airport).

Less abuse for being an idiot and some advice would be awesome!:embarrassed
It is much easier than that, simply remove the return pipe to the reservoir and poke it in a big bottle then start the engine, it will pump the whole lot out in a flash and while you are starting get somebody else to pour a good quality synthetic AFT fluid in the reservior filler, once you have put about a litre through. Stop the engine and but the return pipe back on then fill the reservior, start the engine and top up as required, then turn the steering lock to lock a few times to bleed.

To be honest I doubt a short journey will damage the steering, sadly the oil is always circulating regardless of whether you turn the steering or not so it can't be left but engine oil will still provide lubrication it is just a little too thick and will foam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both replies. Its sitting at the moment until later this week so I will have to sort it evening in -10 degrees! Hopefully there will be no damage/corrosion whist its sitting there. I think I will do it as best as I can then get it cleaned out professionally anyhow.

How easy is it to remove the pipes? Straightforward?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thanks for both replies. Its sitting at the moment until later this week so I will have to sort it evening in -10 degrees! Hopefully there will be no damage/corrosion whist its sitting there. I think I will do it as best as I can then get it cleaned out professionally anyhow.

How easy is it to remove the pipes? Straightforward?
Undo a jubilee clip with a screwdriver and pull off :)

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
I would think it will be ok standing as someone earlier said it is still oil and as such will lubricate. Different if you had put something like screen wash in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Perfect. Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

I am going to see if a mechanic will come out and do it for me. I will then book it in for a service that is coming up anyhow and will get them to do another flush through. Better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Engine oil and ATF are both mineral based oils so no damage will be caused in the short term. Engine oil is quite safe too in that it does not contain any additives that damage phosfor bronze bushes, seals etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2008-e60-550i-help-motor-oil-into-power-steering-oil

Hi guys - What a relief! I have just done exactly the same thing and it is a relief to know that I am unlikely to have committed a major stuff-up. Stupidity, yes.

It is wonderful to be able to type i the problem and to have access to such fabulous and informed advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts