BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Can anybody help? where can i find the diesel engine temperature on the dashboard for my 2008 520d msport ? is it visible anywhere??
many thanks in advance

·
Registered
72 Posts
My dealer (Park Lane, Battersea) told me that the temp. meter was in the rev counter - the little white lines that go from the red upwards. The further up the lines are, the colder the temp, and the lower the lines are the hotter apparently. Got really P'd of at him because of this, as |I always like to monitor my car for faults before its too late, and the bill needs paying :mad:

·
Registered
781 Posts
He's partially correct, that variable scale is the rev limiter and though it is temperature dependent, it's linked to oil temperature as opposed to coolant temperature. To monitor the coolant temperature you need to access the OBC hidden menu.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
when the car is cold - these little white lines go up to 3900/4000 rpm, but once the engine hads been running a while and is nice and warm,they tend to sit at 4600 rpm - just wondering if this is correct or not?

·
Registered
1 Posts
List of OBD codes?

Yes

Download a PDF of how to access it from here.

www.scoopz.com/m5board/E60_Hidden_OBC_Instructions.pdf

It should be running between about 88C and 92C..................but don't be surprised if it isn't.
Thanks - the guide is cool. Where can I get an explanation of all the codes in the hidden ODB menu? The guide lists them, but he only knows some of the more obvious ones.

BTW, the VIN abbreviation in the FGSTNR probably stands for Fahrgestellnummer (chassis number).

Have established that my E61 520d keeps temperature below 70 deg. C! The great thing is that I can expect a substantial fuel efficiency improvement once the thermostats have been replaced :)

I am - in my naive optimism - hoping to go from 15 to 20 km/l (approx. 7 to 5 L/100 km) on my 55 km motorway cruise commute.

Thanks in advance,
Karsten Stig (yep, that is actually my name :) )

1 - 8 of 8 Posts