BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again everyone I purchased a 2008 635D cabriolet today and the person I bought it off has had it for 18 months but apart from one oil service 6 weeks ago has done nothing else to the car it does drive remarkably well, I asked if the swirl flaps had been removed and he looked at me and then said do they go in the front or back so I am sure you understand my problem, is there a way I can tell without getting involved in major surgery if they have been removed and also what would I expect to pay to have them and the EGR unit removed and mapped out many thanks Chris

·
Registered
981 Posts
I removed the swirl flaps out of my 635d and after that it regenerated too frequently. Others have done the same with no issues but I could not resolve the issue and was going to reinstate them but sold the car first. You can normally see with a mirror if they have been done.
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
157 Posts
I found it is rather tricky to position a mirror,(even a specific mechanics mirror) to ascertain whether swirl flaps have been replaced/removed/left in fully open position with guide rod disconnected .(some mechanics are doing this having claimed to removed flaps).
If you have no success with the mirror,buy an endoscope and connect to your pc ,this will clearly show the status of the flaps.
If the job has been done properly(like I have done myself many times) you will clearly see the correct alloy blanking plates secured by two torx bolts in every case,total 6 blanking plates.

50 years an engineer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies but I think it will be safer for me to find someone more competent than me to do this anyone available in the Medway area of Kent obviously I am happy to compensate them as all the independents near me are talking months to get it in to check it out and do the job if needed thanks Chris

·
Registered
157 Posts
The exchange manifold mentioned earlier is a very good price but i cannot find courier prices to uk.
There are opinions for and against removal of Swirl Flaps.
Personally I removed them to avoid future carbon builup around each flap.
This has not had any detrimental effect on overal running/performance/motor stability.
I have reguraly checked the rotational balance and other running settings with inpa(bmw diagnostics) and all is nicely in the green zone.
The choice to retain or remove is yours but can only advise on my personal experiences as an engineer.
The whole issue of swirl flaps and thier function and problems is widely discussed on the internet,just google swirl flaps and it will give you a wealth of opinion.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have decided I definitely want them out if they are there and the same with the EGR but it is beyond my capabilities so a I need a reasonably priced competent man in the Medway area of Kent who is not booked solid for the next 3 months

1 - 9 of 9 Posts