BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2008 320d 177bhp active aerodynamics ? - radiator flaps !!!

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Darth Coupar 
#1 ·
Hey Folks

For the year I've owned the car, I've looked at flaps that basically close off the front grill.
Searching revealed they are part of some "active aerodynamics" doofer.

I don't think mine open, in fact, they actually feel like they are seized shut. I dunno whether my car should have them fitted, or it's had a new front put on at some point.

#2 ·
I think they're there to help the engine heat up more quickly from cold by restricting the airflow around the radiator so getting to a more efficient state in a shorter time. If you're only ever looking at them when the car is stationary (you'll never see them when you're driving :p ) then this might just be their default position. I'm no expert but it sounds plausible ;)

#3 ·
Yeah was thinking that. But looking at pics on t'internet, seems they should be able to be pushed open easily with your finger. Mine don't, so just wondered if they had seized, or if they should actually be there. My car is an Efficient Dynamics model.

It's never overheated, so if they are seized, it's not affecting anything !!

#4 ·
Radiator shutter

The radiator shutter seals off the engine compartment from the outside and directs the cooling air under the engine.

When the vehicle is driven, the closed radiator shutter reduces the warm-up phase of the engine. In higher road speed ranges, this improves the CW value of the vehicle. This saves fuel and thus has an advantageous effect on the emissions. Furthermore, the faster heating of the coolant means that the full heat output of the vehicle can be called up earlier.

Components

*Radiator shutter
*Solenoid switch

Function

With the ignition off or in the event of a break in the activation cable, the radiator shutter is not locked. After engine start-up, the engine control unit switches the solenoid switch to earth and thus closes prevents the radiator shutter from opening.

When one or more of the following conditions exist when the vehicle is being driven, the magnetic lock for the radiator shutter is deactivated.

*Coolant temperature > 90°C
*Gearbox fluid temperature > 110°C
*Engine oil temperature > 130°C
*Power to map thermostat > 90% (only DME)
*Electric fan active

Fault code memory entries

If there is an electrical fault in the assembly, the radiator blind lock is deactivated.

The radiator shutter lock is also deactivated if a defect is detected at the coolant-temperature sensor or electric fan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.