BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys
Need some advice, I have had to have my DPF gutted because it kept getting blocked, first time it happened i got it cleaned then it got blocked again so they gutted it. Now i get a ridiculous amount of smoke from pulling in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear and only smoke when I accelerate in gears 4, 5 and 6. I reset my adaptations and the smoke is slightly less but still noticeable. After reading online I came across a thread that said disconnecting the MAF sensor will eliminate the smoke, so I did that and to my surprise I have had no smoke what so ever not in any gears and no smoke even when I'm accelerating but the engine management light comes on (which was expected). I thought it was a bad MAF sensor so I ordered a new OEM approved sensor but my car wasn't accepting it and it was rough idling and black smoking on idling too. So I plugged the old MAF sensor back in and my car didn't have a rough idle (apart from the smoke).

So guys do you have any advice why my car is smoking excessively with the MAF plugged and not smoking at all with it unplugged. I know if you gut your DPF you will get some black smoke but I didn't think it would be a ridiculous amount.

:mad:mad:mad:mad:mad

·
Registered
445 Posts
Alot of people on here wont reply as they Don't agree In dpf removal.
But the removal would cause abit of smoke but not much.
Once the dpf is gutted it needs mapping out, which generally they remove the dpf and remap the car.
Bad maps cause alot of smoke. A good remap will hardly smoke.

·
Banned
513 Posts
Problem is MOT changes next year for mean particle size will be measured so its not going a case of just checking to see if the dpf appears to be there from mid 2017 if your dpf is removed or gutted they will know

Getting it retro fitted will cost a fortune and the car will not be allowed back on the road until thats done so big issues ahead for some people

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just to clarify jetmech.... When the effect comes into MOT next year. Does it affect all cars build with a dpf... Or will it start from 2017 reg cars....

Surely they cant introduce a law that will effect lots of innocent people, such as females buying cars without a clue.... Yeah there's plenty of guilty people...
But I cant introduce a law saying anyone who steals gets there hands cut off, surely it has to start from a certain date... I cant hunt down the millions of people who have done it in the past and punish them...
Not the best comparison but do you get me?

For instance why should my grandma get a massive bill for a bmw she bought last year not knowing the dpf has being removed by a previous owner as she's old and decrepit and clueless... That's just not fair.... (not a true story just trying to show my point)

·
Registered
74 Posts
At the point of the new MOT though it will fail, its a pass/fail each year.
If you sat an A level with a 60% pass mark tomorrow and it changed to 80% next week then tough titties for anyone sitting it next week.

DPF removal has always been illegal, it immediately voids any insurance you have. Sell it and buy a petrol.

Same with any modification made to a car, if someone installs a stage 1 clutch you might never know until you write a lambo off & your insurance strips your car down for any excuse not to pay.

MOT rules change every year or so, new stuff is brought in that can prove a real pain in the arse for people who like to play...

·
Registered
445 Posts
i think it should be an optional extra when buying the car and you pay less tax per year or something for having one installed...

im currently selling my diesal (only 2006 so had a cat rather then a dpf) but i need a 4x4 where i live now and i dont do enough miles for a diesel...

But your try getting a decent 4x4 in a petrol, it doesnt exsist unless your happy with a 4.0 twin turbo fuel guzzeling tax raping thing...

·
Banned
513 Posts
Just to clarify jetmech.... When the effect comes into MOT next year. Does it affect all cars build with a dpf... Or will it start from 2017 reg cars....

Surely they cant introduce a law that will effect lots of innocent people, such as females buying cars without a clue.... Yeah there's plenty of guilty people...
But I cant introduce a law saying anyone who steals gets there hands cut off, surely it has to start from a certain date... I cant hunt down the millions of people who have done it in the past and punish them...
Not the best comparison but do you get me?

For instance why should my grandma get a massive bill for a bmw she bought last year not knowing the dpf has being removed by a previous owner as she's old and decrepit and clueless... That's just not fair.... (not a true story just trying to show my point)
Nothing changed not having a DPF when there should be one has been a mot fail point for a couple of years all there doing is adding extra measures to detect that fact, at present its just a visual inspection to see if it appears to be present ....

·
Banned
513 Posts
i think it should be an optional extra when buying the car and you pay less tax per year or something for having one installed...

im currently selling my diesal (only 2006 so had a cat rather then a dpf) but i need a 4x4 where i live now and i dont do enough miles for a diesel...

But your try getting a decent 4x4 in a petrol, it doesnt exsist unless your happy with a 4.0 twin turbo fuel guzzeling tax raping thing...
Sadly breathing air polluted with carcergenics from diesel fumes isnt a option, So id suggest its reasonable you shouldnt be able to opt out of measures put in place to prevent those very dangerous pollutants contaminating the atmosphere we all breathe

·
Registered
445 Posts
Fair enough!! I'll just have to have a nice blast down the motorway now and then with the new car!!! Or stop being tight and buy a petrol ha

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
Deleting or removing a DPF these days is extremely risky and questionable with whats coming for domestic diesels, plus the legality of it and leaving yourself wide open for a refusal of an insurance claim and prosecution for driving a none road legal vehicle on a public road if caught, and in a worst case scenario if it includes death or injury a private liability and prosecution to the individual...

It's road illegal
Insurance illegal
Road tax banding fraud
Instant MOT failure

1 - 10 of 10 Posts