BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now i'm one of those who believes in regular oil changes rather than trusting the claims of the long life properties of oils these days. My car was last serviced 08/2009 at 11k miles. Its now done 21k miles and not due a service till 08/2011 or 7k miles. So trying to keep things running smooth i got the oil changed yesterday.

So off to BMW for the filter and halfords for the oil - Castrol Edge 0W-30 and got it changed no problems!!!...BUT...just been reading that my car needs LL04 rather than LL01. What???

What's all this LL01 and LL04 business??? :jaw-dropping Whats the difference? Do i need to panic, drop the oil and get some LL04 in there bearing in mind it will be coming out in the next 7 months or so. Is the LL rating a life expectancy / durability rating of the oil or is it associated with the lubricating properties of the oil?

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
LL04 contains less Sulphur than LL01 and was designed primarily for the needs of modern diesel engines.
I did the same as you early on and ran mine on Mobil 1 LL01 for one cycle. Wouldn't personally worry too much.
NealP is your man here ....

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cheers mate but aint gonna lie though...the panic button's been pushed...i'm crapping myself here!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts