BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so after having my 4 pot e46 for 8yrs, switching to the 325 was a bit of a shock with regard to trips to the petrol station. Still i'm not complaining...it is what it is as an engine and i appreciate the increased performance.

Curiosity has got the better of me tho so I wanted to see if i could increase the mpg. Tried changing my driving style and changing up early - no difference...25mpg. Then got bored and drove normally...21mpg. Then decided to try vpower...mpg 20.5 mpg. Then i had the fabulous idea...vpower plus changing up early...18.5mpg!!!! Eh?? :eek

...so guess what???.....i've given up! not sure if I'm gonna keep on the v power as i like the idea of it being good for the engine (may try the tesco momentum) but feck it...i'm gonna enjoy the car!!!

oh and whilst on i'd like to ask what other mpg people are getting from the same engine? And would also like to ask what style of early changing up do people use? I sometimes go from 1st to 2nd to 5th. According to the computer realtime mpg counter (the one that changes with speed) 5th gear acceleration is never less than 12mpg albeit a bit slower than in lower gears. 3rd and 4th can see single figure mpgs in accelerating.

oh and all my driving is town traffic and short journeys so i now i can't expect very high mpg but a decent 27 would do me fine! i thought cruising around in 5th would get me that!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Im getting around 29mpg (in my 328i :p) on Vpower mostly dual carriageway to and from work, get well over 30mpg if i go everywhere at 56mph :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've not checked it accuracy butthe long term computer on my 325i tourign is logging 31mpg. I spend a lot of time on busy motorways so its eitehr a stady 70mph or unconjested city driving here (living in milton keynes has some advantages!).

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i think us diesel drivers should keep quiet at this juncture :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to birmingham and back over the weekend. computers saying I got 29mpg. but my goodness...you diesel peps got some advantage in the roll ons. Tried giving it large with a 330D 5 series!....the white flag was quickly raised!!!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
330D or 530D ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
went to birmingham and back over the weekend. computers saying I got 29mpg. but my goodness...you diesel peps got some advantage in the roll ons. Tried giving it large with a 330D 5 series!....the white flag was quickly raised!!!
Not surprised at all, I breezed past a E46 325i (192hp) in the 320d (remapped) on the motorway after a bit of a sprint from 55mph.

However, I am (or should I say was after reading your post :lol) seriously considering moving to a petrol, as most of the time I'm driving in the city, to and from work is about 3-4 miles each way. I get 28mpg on the obc as a result. However I get about 33-38mpg combined.

Reading your post has given me second thoughts on that. I thought the official figure is around 28.5mpg? Is yours the 2.5 or 3.0l engine? The other thing could be that the vert is heavier too.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not surprised at all, I breezed past a E46 325i (192hp) in the 320d (remapped) on the motorway after a bit of a sprint from 55mph.

However, I am (or should I say was after reading your post :lol) seriously considering moving to a petrol, as most of the time I'm driving in the city, to and from work is about 3-4 miles each way. I get 28mpg on the obc as a result. However I get about 33-38mpg combined.

Reading your post has given me second thoughts on that. I thought the official figure is around 28.5mpg? Is yours the 2.5 or 3.0l engine? The other thing could be that the vert is heavier too.

...could be re the vert being heavier. but i've never really got more than 25mpg and that was by being really gentle with the throttle and i mean real gentle which is extremely boring.
i'd suggest you stay with the diesel...i think its a fare to say diesels have almost double the mpg of petrols or at least that's what i gathered from the mpgs peps post on here

still i love my petrol engines and don't think i'd be getting a diesel any time in the near future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My old E93 330i auto was getting easy 35+ mpg and motorway steady 80mph 25ish around town.
Pretty much snap. I'm on a 28mpg at the moment, with a lot of recent town driving, but had an awesome 34mpg without even trying (stuck in traffic but hammering it when it was clear) on the motorway recently. I may actually try and do a steady 70mpg and see what I can get.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the E92 330i manua coupe, I'm getting roughly 28/29 ish mixed town and motorway driving. On a longer run without being too heavy on the loud pedal, it easily gets 34/35ish.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts