BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I've been reading a lot about people having trouble with the DPF and since my car has 118000 miles on it, I'm getting a bit worried. I would have thought the cheapest fix if it gets blocked would be to take it off and take a big drill to the innards, getting rid of as much of the filter as possible. Has anybody out there tried this?

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
The system is too clever for that unfortunately, it has pressure sensors before and after to measure the restriction in the gas flow.
When the pressure drop increases, it knows the filter is full and needs the regen process to burn off the carbon.
Once it has reached a high level, it can't be fixed by just removing the filter, or unplugging the pressure sensors, it needs true diagnostics to reset as it is aware that a regen on a full filter may produce a huge amount of heat and possibly cause fires.

For the same reason, you can't just gut the filter and put it back.
They can be removed vie reprogramming, but this does mean you need to physically remove the DPF.
You can't just update a hardware problem in software!

I haven't seen much in the way of aftermarket DPFs, but a gutted original and software removal would solve the problem and be almost unnoticeable if the cutting is kept away from prying eyes!

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. The car is actually running fine at the moment so there would be no resetting required. I hate the thought of the car being strangled by the DPF and really do want rid. I was thinking of getting a remap with DPF software deletion and then doing a butcher job on the DPF myself but I think I'll get the whole job done at once with a proper pipe, maybe getting a few quid for the old one on ebay.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm in same mind set.. I have a new dpf fitted (warranty job) on 325d.

I would like to remove and fit my own bypass pipe, but require an old dpf to be able to do this without hassle of no car on road.

You can buy a bypass pipe off eBay but the seller has a ridiculous price tag with it.
If it was cheaper he'd sell loads.

·
Registered
183 Posts
As long as the pressure sensors are disconnected & DPF remapped out theres no reason why you couldn't strip the guts out of DPF.

You can't just remove DPF.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry if this is a little off topic, but I'm thinking off getting a new exhaust for my 320d aswell

But if you remove the DPF though won't the car fail the MOT for fumes/CO2/Soot?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts