BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Need a favour from fellow E92 owners please! I recently had some tweeters professionally installed requiring new A pilar mouldings (from bmw). I've seen on an american site somewhere that someone else had the same work which resulted in increased wind noise. Naturally i've only noticed some wind noise since reading this! (ocd)

I literally cannot remember whether i could hear wind noise (from the area of the wing mirrors) before the installation. So my favour is comments from other owners whether they can hear wind noise from the wing mirror area. I dont get alot of noise but enough to notice. I only get it going 65-70mph and above. If others dont get any i'll be taking it back!

Thanks in advance :)

Cloughy

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to buy the foam inserts to eliminate wind noise. Are they fitted?

If not, order them from the parts dept priced at £8.50 each
BMW Part for Left : 51337119173
BMW Part for Right : 51337119174

-or-

Make your own :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AH! no they are not, thanks! the original one's they took off have the foam inside but the new one's did not. I've just had a quick look and cant work out where the air would come in as the moulding is effectively inside due to the door seals?

do you think i would be able to utilise the previous foam inserts?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After 3 hours of slicing my hands open with a stanley knife i got the foam inserts installed! unfortunately there is still some wind noise by the wing mirrors. I presume this must just be normal as the wing mirror is cutting through the air?! ....or that because Bmw's are so quiet i notice this noise more than i would do in another car

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just fitted some tweeters in today as part of the Alpine upgrade I'm in the process of doing. The foam inserts on mine can take tweeters as it has cut outs for them already when I was replacing the door frames. Not the same case with yours? Also, is the tweeter housing over the inner rubber seal of the door? Otherwise that would be the noise you are hearing from outside....noticed this myself today :hihi

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunately not, I had to do a blue peter job on my foam inserts! I took my time and managed to get them to fit snuggly but still a bit of noise, although I didn't notice this noise until I read about others having wind noise problems! my fault for reading too much I guess

·
Registered
11 Posts
Makes sense if you are not fitting OEM tweeters and having to do a Blue Peter job then :hihi. Fit's perfectly in my case :thumbsup

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forgot to answer your 2nd question, the thin pliable rubber is over the top of the housing if that makes sense?! What you be kind enough to take a look at a couple of photos ive put in my album (marked tweeter) to make sure i've done it correctly. I am what you call an IT retard so couldnt work out how to put the photo in the thread

1 - 10 of 10 Posts