BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

So let me start by saying i bought a lemon!

The Car: BMW E92 320i 2007 Montegoblau

Current Problem: The car reports low fuel pressure. I have changed the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator and the high pressure pump with sensor (the rail). I have also tested the battery and it has good voltage so i am all out of ideas with this one. The diagnostic reports misfiring on cylinders but no matter what order you use (swapping them around), it will still misfire. So we brought down to the fact the misfire is being caused by not having enough fuel which diagnostic confirms that fuel pressure in indeed below what it should be.

Let me add that sometimes it can be a darling and not misfire at all. But once that engine light comes on... its trouble time. its not as crazy as before but still annoying. So it comes and goes

A little bit of history: As i mentioned i bought a lemon. The car was misfiring like crazy and the cats had been removed. So my mechanic opened the head where there was a few bent valves, he put new one and grinded some of the old ones that were fine (I think). Also changed the gasket whilst at it. Timing chain was also replaced (full kit). New spark plugs and ignition coils. New ECU (used and with keys). New cats (second hand but good condition and just the front ones). before these changes the car would start, then rough idle like crazy and switch off and also requires insane gas when moving off from traffic lights or else the engine would shut off. Now its a lot smoother.

Can anyone think of anything else that i may have missed which would cause this low fuel issue and/or the misfiring. Thank you, i hope what i wrote makes sense

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello everyone,

So let me start by saying i bought a lemon!

The Car: BMW E92 320i 2007 Montegoblau

Current Problem: The car reports low fuel pressure. I have changed the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator and the high pressure pump with sensor (the rail). I have also tested the battery and it has good voltage so i am all out of ideas with this one. The diagnostic reports misfiring on cylinders but no matter what order you use (swapping them around), it will still misfire. So we brought down to the fact the misfire is being caused by not having enough fuel which diagnostic confirms that fuel pressure in indeed below what it should be.

Let me add that sometimes it can be a darling and not misfire at all. But once that engine light comes on... its trouble time. its not as crazy as before but still annoying. So it comes and goes

A little bit of history: As i mentioned i bought a lemon. The car was misfiring like crazy and the cats had been removed. So my mechanic opened the head where there was a few bent valves, he put new one and grinded some of the old ones that were fine (I think). Also changed the gasket whilst at it. Timing chain was also replaced (full kit). New spark plugs and ignition coils. New ECU (used and with keys). New cats (second hand but good condition and just the front ones). before these changes the car would start, then rough idle like crazy and switch off and also requires insane gas when moving off from traffic lights or else the engine would shut off. Now its a lot smoother.

Can anyone think of anything else that i may have missed which would cause this low fuel issue and/or the misfiring. Thank you, i hope what i wrote makes sense

Update: The Oxygen sensor is reading more than 2 volts even when engine is off and it can go up to 3 volts on idle at which point the engine will cut off. We swapped the sensors around since only one was reporting this high voltage but it was the exact same. When I come to a stop while driving, the car is very likely to cut off the engine. But when on the motorway its fine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi Everyone, me again.

So I went ahead and OBD2 wifi scanner which revealed 5 errors.

P0597 - Thermostat Heater Control - Circuit/Open
P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low
P0303 - Cylinder 3 - Misfire Detected
P0302 - Cylinder 2 - Misfire Detected
P0304 - Cylinder 4 - Misfire Detected

I was aware of these before but the mechanic insisted that The misfired were being caused by fuel pressure being low. And concluded the Thermostat has nothing to with it, could be an electrical fault.

Currently the car will start sometimes runs for a while then turns off, other times misfires then turns off or it will misfire and I feed it gas for a while and runs for a while. The mechanic said throttle body was fine too. I should mention that the current ECU is that of a 1 series, apparently as long as the back numbers are exactly the same... this should not make a difference

·
Vendor
4,284 Posts
When and why was the key set changed ?
Have you used new or second hand parts

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE) and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
BMW key blades cut from BMW key code.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted by making key by obd.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we changed the ECU which came as a complete set (second hand with a key). The mechanic thought at first that the ECU itself was damaged and therefore throwing errors that did not make sense (but the ECU itself was throwing codes which I do not remember). But after the ECU was changed some codes have disappeared but the driving is still horrid as explained above. These changes were done about 3 weeks ago. The other day I drove the car less than a mile away and it kept turning off at reduced speeds. I checked the obdII and only low fuel pressure and thermometer were there after I had cleared the errors. Please, any ideas I would be grateful

·
Vendor
4,284 Posts
Did you use a second hand ecu key and Cas unit I take it ?

If you did then why ?

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991.
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE) and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW FRM repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
BMW key blades cut from BMW key code.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted by making key by obd.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts