BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many I recently discovered the joys of owning a BMW during the cold in terms of the headlamp washer covers popping off when they feel like it. I have read loads of forums about this and understand it is fairly unpreventable if you still want to use your washers, as it is simply the expansion of frozen washer fluid which forces them off, sometimes taking the nozzle as well.

The question I am asking is, has anyone come up with any novel ways to prevent you actually losing the cover, or nozle fitting, once it is forced of the telescopic arm? I am thinking in terms of either using cable ties or a length of nylon string to effectively tie the nozzle/cover fitting to the telescopic arm, so that if it does come off due to expansion of ice at least you won't lose it down the road and may be able to put it back on.

In summary what I am saying is that even if the cover pops off due to ice, it hopefully be dangling by its cable tie/string which is tied to a fixed point (the arm), rather than sitting on the A46.

I have a 2007 E92 320d, but I imagine the theory could apply to any car with these washers. I guess the main thing to be aware of is to ensure that whatever you use to tie the part to the arm must not catch on anything or interfere with its operation, and also the issues with actually extending the arm to fit something.

Any ideas, guides, photos?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem

I have the same issue on my 2009 330 coupe but would like to disable the headlamp washer system as to me it is fairly ineffective
Any views?

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
just unplug them at the pump on the bottle they are crap useless things anyway..

if you prefer to use them then they dont pop off if you use the correct antifreeze washer fluid in them your actually making a mountain out of a molehill for nothing the secret is not to let them freeze in the first place..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks
So if disconnected at the pump the arms won't extend as part of the cycle?
As all I won't to do is fill in the two holes in the bumper and move on

·
Registered
264 Posts
Sounds like a better design on the e46's. On mine and dd's we have unplugged the electrical connector to the pump which sits in the washer bottle. Dead easy! Shame the E91's aren't

1 - 11 of 11 Posts