BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2007 E91 330i - Oil Consumption & Funny Smelling Coolant.

406 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Phil325i 
#1 ·
Hello to all you sages out there.
Two issues - Firstly, engine only used 1 litre of oil during the first 2 years of ownership (approx 19,000 miles), then, after 3 recent visits to the dealership in two months to sort out various issues, it now uses approx 1 litre every 1000 - 1500 miles !
Secondly, also just checked the coolant level - It's fine but has a rather funky smell to it - is this normal ? Also, is the coolant a lifetime item ?
I have the (infamous) N53 Engine.
I wait with baited breath for your answers !

#2 ·
it now uses approx 1 litre every 1000 - 1500 miles
That is acceptable to BMW but its worth looking at the CCV as if this is blocked it can force the engine to use oil

also just checked the coolant level - It's fine but has a rather funky smell to it - is this normal ? Also, is the coolant a lifetime item
You need to renew the coolant every couple of years

#3 ·
I think you have to ask yourself 'what did the dealer do when they had my car?'. To me, a dramatic change in oil consumption like you've seen speaks of something amiss. I have an N53 and it hardly uses a drop between oil changes (every 6K).

Best to check your coolant by siphoning out a sample from the header tank for inspection. Should be a green/blue colour and clear not cloudy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.