BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another light snowfall yesterday - and my 330d m-sport touring refused to go anywhere. Some progress in manual mode without traction, but on the whole laughable.

I've read that only a fool takes a rwd bimmer out in the snow but I just can't believe this. I've taken hired mercs and bimmers to ski resorts, with snow tyres of course, and never had a problem.

I'm wondering if my ill-concieved low-profile run-flats could be part of the problem? Replacing them with Winter/snow tyres seems extreme. It there a good all-rounder tyre I could switch to, that has an emphasis on safety/poor conditions driving?

If so, is there a market for second-hand runflats with 6k on them?

ta

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi tsf, you know what mate, I symapthise with your problem but I have yet to experience such a bad problem in sunny Scotland :)

I got caught in a fairly heavy snowfall once, well it lay 1 inch thick after I came out the gym, and my 530d drove me home quite fine.

In saying that I have just changed ALL my tyres to non RFTs

When I used to work in mainland europe, I noticed peoples' cars had 4 new tyres and wheels bulging out of there boot. I asked a friend what was going on and he said. It is the law (in Austria) you must use snow tyres during winter. And sure enough every other house or car I walked by had a stack of winter tyres ready to use....

Maybe it should be law in our G For Saken country!!

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
If so, is there a market for second-hand runflats with 6k on them?

ta

If they are 19" Bridgestones, then PM me !

Wide tyres are always going to cause an issue. Look at what the rally guys do in snow, they have narrow tyres to cut through the snow. The wider they are, the less pressure they exert on a given surface, and this lets water build between the two surfaces and hey presto, no grip.
Winter tyres I hear are impressive even in the dry when the temperature drops below 6C, but never driven on them myself.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Its your tyres/wheels

I would suggest buying a 'winter wheels' set of cheap alloys with winter tyres on them.

You can get them swapped by you local decent tyre shop for a small amount before winter and then change back if summer ever arrives....!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for your replies.

My tyres are factory MICHELIN 225/40R18.92Y PILOT SPORT 2. Just looked them up on a tyre website:

"The Pilot Sport PS2 is a Max Performance Summer tyre member of the Michelin Pilot family of low profile, high-speed tyres... Some of the first Pilot Sport PS2 O.E. fitments included the BMW Alpina Z8, McLaren SLR and Porsche GT2 & GT3 models. The Pilot Sport PS2 is not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice. "

I guess I'm getting somewhere. So this leaves 2 options:

1. dump these tyres and get some good allrounders
2. get winter wheels & tyres as suggested

I don't really push the car much, and I'm pretty lazy, so the idea of switching all the wheels/tyres twice a year is a bit of a turn off. I'm leaning towards finding a set of tyres that give reasonable dry performance and aren't as life-threatening in the cold. My priority is cold-weather performance as we get a lot of that up here on the moors.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BMW just quoted £350+VAT each for 16" wheels with winter tyres. They say no winter tyre options available in 18"

Any better options?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts