BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I retired last year and decided to have a car I always wanted and have just bought my first BMW with a large chunk of my pension lump sum. Having scrolled through the tech section didn't realise how expensive some parts can be. eg replacement turbo - £1500 Diesel Particle Filter - £1300 and so on!
As it is just out of BMW warranty I have looked on google for extended car warrantys and have been lost with all the different options from different companys. There is even one site called comparethewarranty.com. that wasn't really much help.
I would be grateful for any recommendations from anyone who has taken out this type of warranty.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Instead of geting a warrantee, I decided to put away a sum of money each month into a separate savings account, then touch wood if nothing goes wrong i have money to either pay for my insurance or treat myself to something nice.

If however something goes wrong, then at least i have a pot of money to help me out. :D

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
£6k hey, what's gone wrong on your car ?
ATM and with all that money nothing, but Vorny is "heavy handed":hihi

I let my dealer warranty expire just last month, haven't decided who to go with, I was concerned about the price TBH as the car has only covered 18k in three years. I will be interested to see what comes up in this thread.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I took out some BMW tyre insurance with the dealer when I bought the car.. It pays up to £250 per tyre. Just had 3 replaced by the dealer. Would have cost £750 if I bought tyres from dealer. 2 of the tyres had nails in them and the 3rd had a 'bulge' (which to be fair they did point out to me after inspection). The cover cost £350 for 3 years and covers '5 tyre claims' . I have well had my money's worth out of the policy. Getting a nail in your tyre can happen at any time (just need to check you still have 2mm of thread in the tyre before making a claim).

You could probably shop around for cheaper tyre insuance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for the advice so far - Mark's problems costing £6K has definately made my mind up to take out ext warranty. 2 turbos for mine will be £3K so a £1K cost over 3 years is well worth it, if only for peace of mind.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
What was the reason for both turbos failing?
Rattling wastegates on the over-run, subject to a BMW service bulletin, rattle for a while then throw up the EML periodically, really common problem :eek

1 - 11 of 11 Posts