BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2007 BMW 325i Touring which is in the BMW dealer having an oil service. The dealer has just telephoned me to inform me that my car also needs a "vehicle check" of the underbody etc in order to maintain the anti corrosion warranty. They want £170 for this, which given the age of the car sounds excessive to me.

If I do not have the check done, will this invalidate my anti corrosion warranty?

Thanks for your time,

David

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i didn't bother with it on mine - if yours did develop any corrosion, it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg to fix it. save your £170

Reactions: dbdb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not only corrosion is checked...here is a list of what they do.

* Diagnosis test.
* Horn, headlight flasher and hazard warning lights.
* Instrument and indication field lighting, check heater blower.
* Windscreen wash/wipe system.
* Body: checked for corrosion.
* Tyres: tread depths, tread pattern and external condition, check inflation pressures and correct if necessary (spare wheel checked also).
* Battery: display checked, and if necessary, replaced. - If your car is a few years old it is worth getting your battery checked prior to the onset of cold and damp weather, as these conditions can contribute to deterioration in the battery.
* Steering fluid reservoir: fluid level checked.
* Coolant level and refill if necessary: if there's too little water and anti-freeze in the cooling system, then the engine can overheat and cause potentially serious damage.
* Windscreen washer system: check fluid level, top up if necessary.
* Brake lines and connections: checked for leaks, damage, and correct position.
* Under-body including all visible parts: checked for damage, leaks and corrosion.
* Steering components: checked for clearance, leaks, damage and wear.
* Check for roadworthiness
- Brakes
- Steering
- Shock absorbers; and
- Clutch / automatic transmission

Just a glorified MOT imo.

Here are some more details of the anti-corrosion warranty...http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum...ranty-where-can-i-find-t72919/post615423.html

Looks like regular servicing is required to maintain it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They wouldn't drop the price so I told them not to do the check. I will ring round to see if another dealer will do it for less money. If so, then my dealer has lost me as a customer.
BMW dealers are all pretty useless in my experience, so it is just as well the cars are so good... :hihi

Thanks for your help on this,

David

·
Registered
11 Posts
They wouldn't drop the price so I told them not to do the check. I will ring round to see if another dealer will do it for less money. If so, then my dealer has lost me as a customer.
BMW dealers are all pretty useless in my experience, so it is just as well the cars are so good... :hihi

Thanks for your help on this,

David
If you can find a BMW approved garage that will follow BMW standards for servicing, then the corrosion warranty will still be valid :thumbsup

·
Registered
488 Posts
glad you mentioned this actually!

Whilst looking under the car (for what reason God alone knows) I realised that the (bear with me) 2 struts at the back that go from a centre pivot to suspension were corroding. I was shocked as I never in the 8yrs that I had my e46 seen any corrosion. I was meant to take a picture and post but forgot. Is this the type of corrosion they are looking out for. Can't believe a 3yr old car (a bimmer at that) could be corroding already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts