BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

My 2007 E90 320d is now at around 150k KM's, and never did the diff oil change. So, I changed that.
Afterwards, I noticed a very small leak around the drain plug.
So, I bought a new plug (plug + O-ring combo) from eBay. The new plug, not sure if OEM or not, came with a new green O-ring.
I put the new one in, but, discovered that it still leaked a little.... Now what? I did tighten it down to 60 Nm.

So, what should I do? I considered changing the O-Ring that came with the plug, not sure the correct size...
The size of the O-Ring is not found anywhere (RealOEM did not have a seperate O-Ring part #)
I did measure it myself, and it seems to be 22mm x 1.5mm O-Ring......

Here's the before and after (about 10 days apart).
Right after replacing it with a eBay-bought new plug, tightening down to 60 Nm, and cleaned with brake-clean:
IMG_2197.jpg

And, about 10 days later (mild city/highway driving).
P6020611.jpg

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
How much oil did you put in as i went to do mine not long ago and found no drain plug just the fill plug.
Just topped mine up for now but not leaking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is no separate drain plug on these E90 diff's. You have to somehow suction out the oil inside, then fill until it runs out. I think I used nearly the whole 1 Litre bottle. RED LINE 75W90 GL-5 GEAR OIL to be exact.

·
Registered
868 Posts
The diff capacity is 1 litre, so I'd say you were spot on. And frankly I can't see anything I would call a 'leak' in your photos. Just enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these not the signs of leaking?
P6020611.jpg

Could this just be the residue oil from the installation process?
(Like, minor oil from under the cap?)

That's a relief if that's not an actually oil leak.

BIG THANKS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts