BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone havent posted for a while I would like to say that it was because I have a smooth running reliable E61 but then you would all know im lieing!!!!

A few years ago my divesity aerial did the usual leaked got wet and then blew various components around the car. After buying replacement diversity aerial and ordering new key I gave up and knowing my very mess rear wiring loom would have my local stealer rubbing his hands I went down another route and have had a Canbus Autowatch alarm prgrammed to fit my vehicle cost was £360 in the end but wasnt without its problems. still cheaper than BMW and resulted in a useable alarm cat 1 status I have to live with an additional fob but this fob makes turning the interior sensors off childs play at the click of a button never quite worked out the bmw way of doing this!.

Many people that own a BMW would have simply thrown the car in to a dealer and lived with the bill I looked at another route this may be more suitable for some other owners I guess.

I put my car in to my local auto electrician who called on a guy called Brad from Auto watch alarms he read the canbus codes from the car and returned with an alarm module. this module was installed and sure enough the car was collected and worked fine I was moving house at the time so car was being driven frequently Thean after a few days went to the car. no alarm no electrics batt flat. Auto spark questioned my battery and told me to give a full charge I did this and sure enough the car worked started fault free..................14 hours later flat as a pancake. back to the auto elecs......The guy is now on holiday for xmas 2 weeks went by and my car had a 230v lead hanging out the door on charge for weeks and weeks then the factory that programs the alarm was shut down untill mid january..................what have I done ...... I worked out the car was waking up every 250 seconds and the battery drain was climbing from 33ma to 6amps at this rate in this cold weather soon highly discharged battery. I had can bus faults to my DTC stearing red message of death steering failure etc.......the petrol can nearly came out a few times! and then I had a phone call Brad was coming back with a new software program true to his word he flashed a new program n the alarm and all has been fine ever since.

What I have said above may put some people off but then again these are very complex alarms anyway at the end of the day I am happy with the completed job although was a headache getting there. I choose this route as I knew £360 would spell the final price it may be an avenue some of you could consider taking. They now have the programme so should work for other e61 owners. Hope this helps and although not an ideal solution a cheaper workable option and easy to work alarm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for sharing but please use some punctuation :) Will be a lot easier to read.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts