BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 57 plate 520d and the radiator fan goes on soon after I switch the engine on. It very rarely turns off, I was wandering if it is a common fault I could fix myself. Also will this have any detrimental effect on my car.

Any help will be much appreciated

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
so long as the temp gauge is smack in the middle when up to temp i would not worry but if its over cooling ie not getting to the middle of the temp gauge i would look at the thermostat or the thermostatic switch
Dunno if the LCI gets a temperature gauge? I haven't seen a temp gauge on an E60 though?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
You could go to the hidden menu (search or google) and check that the engine is not showing hot when it is in fact cold. There is no fan switch though, it is ECU switched.

·
Registered
781 Posts
so its digital then will be in the obc some where then so you will need to find out what the temp sould be and check to see what the obc reading is then
It should be somewhere between 89 and 93.

In this weather I'd also be inclined to suspect the fan is running to cool the AC condenser. Try switching of your AC and see if that stops it. Providing your engine thermostat is ok, your fan running to cool the condenser won't affect your engine core temperature.

If you're not running between 89 and 93 however (and many BMW diesels are running much lower, especially on E60's as they have no temperature gauge) you need to look at one or both of your thermostats.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
As Vista says, that is actually a bit cool especially given the time of year. This wouldn't make the fan run too much though.
I think it might need the codes reading to sort this one, there is an intelligent control unit mounted on the fan itself so it may well show a fault.
The fan will run if certain problems are suspected by the main ECU as a safety feature.
Out of interest, does your car have air flaps behind the grills? I think some are just sprung loaded and some electrical, M sports don't get them at all. Check they can move freely with your finger if they are fitted. Also it goes without saying that your coolant level should be correct too.
Does the car run normally with no engine check warnings?

·
Registered
1 Posts
radiator fan check

It should be somewhere between 89 and 93.

In this weather I'd also be inclined to suspect the fan is running to cool the AC condenser. Try switching of your AC and see if that stops it. Providing your engine thermostat is ok, your fan running to cool the condenser won't affect your engine core temperature.

If you're not running between 89 and 93 however (and many BMW diesels are running much lower, especially on E60's as they have no temperature gauge) you need to look at one or both of your thermostats.
Hi, I just read the post and realised I never saw my fan running at all, even after 40 min drive. I replaced thermostat coupole of months ago as it got burst out for some reason but other than that never had any overheating error faults. What is the best way to check if the radiator fan operates properly?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Radiator fan running on

I had this exact fault on my E46 and gauge was always right in the middle I fitted a new Coolant sensor and hey presto all perfect since obtained new sensor from World Cars good luck as I had my car with BMW Technician and had to find and fix myself thanks to another forum members advice

1 - 16 of 16 Posts