BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hey guys,i was just wondering does anyone have an idea how i can best play/charge my i phone/i pod in my 07 E60..Also any ideas on a neat cradle to stop them sliding all over the place when im on the road and driving me nuts
Any advice welcome
:thumbsup

·
Registered
26 Posts
Your car should have Bluetooth installed, so phone sorted. Check your communications options in idrive.

I think there is s USB port in the in the storage area under the arm rest

If not, there are small radio transmitters that you can connect to most versions of iPod iphone. These are real cheap and simple to use

There is also a BMW module that can connect the iPod through the idrive. If the module is not already installed in your car the this is the most expensive option.
The module will cost about £200 ist, unless you know someone that can code the module for you, BMW will charge royaly for the honour.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your car should have Bluetooth installed, so phone sorted. Check your communications options in idrive.

I think there is s USB port in the in the storage area under the arm rest

If not, there are small radio transmitters that you can connect to most versions of iPod iphone. These are real cheap and simple to use

There is also a BMW module that can connect the iPod through the idrive. If the module is not already installed in your car the this is the most expensive option.
The module will cost about £200 ist, unless you know someone that can code the module for you, BMW will charge royaly for the honour.
No bluetooth im afraid,i want to get a kit if i could that might do both....I would manage without the phone kit tho but would love some nice neat setup for the music..I know them radio transmitters you are on about and i tried them before and just dont like them tbh...

·
Registered
596 Posts
Have a word with Jason or Noel @ Absolut Audio ref ipod conection to you OEM head unit
They are on 01980 624740

As for cradels

Have a look hear

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/cat/iPhone-3G-Car-Holders.htm

i would go for the brodit hard wired so you have it charging the iphone as well or this

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/brodit-holder-with-tilt-swivel-pass-through-connection-iphone-3gs-3g-p17515.htm

if its connected to you head unit as the ipod lead just pops in the bottom while it sits in the cradel

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just fitted the BMW ipod kit to my car today. If your car plays mp3 cd's through the in dash cd player you should be good to go without any coding (only if you have the 6 cd multichanger). If no multichanger, the car may still be prewired for it and the kit will work (but requires coding to switch it on).
I bought my ipod retrofit kit from bmwminiparts for 122 quid plus vat (the latest version which charges and works with IPhone 3GS). Tomorrow i'm planning making the ashtray docking station for the phone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
26 Posts
No i didnt look under there,whats down there?????
I have a AUX connection on the back of the armrest so my i pod plays through the radio no prob its just a bit messy with cables and stuff
thats what i was looking for, but it seems you have found it...:thumbsup
gav900 gave some good pointers.....
installing that module can be easy or you may need some coding..... check the spec of your car to find out where you stand..

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Just fitted the BMW ipod kit to my car today. If your car plays mp3 cd's through the in dash cd player you should be good to go without any coding (only if you have the 6 cd multichanger). If no multichanger, the car may still be prewired for it and the kit will work (but requires coding to switch it on).
I bought my ipod retrofit kit from bmwminiparts for 122 quid plus vat (the latest version which charges and works with IPhone 3GS). Tomorrow i'm planning making the ashtray docking station for the phone.
how much did this cost to have fitted or did you do it yourself. would still be interested in knowing cost and perhaps a picture mate. :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
@gav900. Thanks for sharing pics. Mine is pre-wired for a CD changer but no CD changer itself and the in-dash CD does not recognise MP3s. Its a 56 plate (dec 2006) 525D. I am also thinking either to get an ipod kit fitted or get the software update to recognise MP3s. Can you tell where did you get the docking station which fits in the ashtray? Is it a customed one or you used a normal apple dock? How did you wire it from kit to the ashtray? And I suppose it works with iPhone 3GS, charges and plays music on it through iDrive? Do you know if it would do the same with iPhone 4?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Doc_S, you need to read through this thread....
http://forums.5series.net/topic/59271-ipod-interface-installation-diy/
I made my own custom stand using a Scosche passport adapter, but you can buy them from here..
http://www.2point5.com/
But they are pricey at 150 dollars just for the ashtray mount.

I thought your car should already play mp3's through the in dash cd (being a 2006 model), have you tried playing it through the navigation dvd drive?

Gav

Edit: Not tried it with the iphone version 4 yet....

·
Registered
95 Posts
Gav, I've tried to google bmwminiparts but can't find anyone of that name

Do you have a link mate?

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
181 Posts
Wow those spec.docks are nice. I am interested in how your custom ipod dock looks and was installed, do you have a picture without the iphone on it?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Sorry, i dont have a picture of it without a ipod or phone plugged in. I just got creative with a Scosche passport stand, fibreglass and some black plastic. You can buy an ipod stand to replace the ashtray from specdock for 150 dollars, or just leave the ipod/iphone in the glovebox.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts