BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've noticed that my car sits 1" lower on the passenger side rear than the drivers side (or maybe 1" higher at the drivers side?!)...is this normal? :confused

If its not normal am I looking at springs, dampers or both?

Related question: I've tried a couple of online VIN spec check tools and they all tell me that my car has the M-Sport suspension option (S704-A), but that doesn't feel right to me, any recommended/trusted tools I can use would be appreciated?

TIA :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
Yes, this comes up from time to time. The only explanation I've heard is that the car is set up that way to allow for the fact that the car will always have a driver, so it's to account for the extra weight on that side of the vehicle. Not convinced myself...

Reactions: Schofe

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, this comes up from time to time. The only explanation I've heard is that the car is set up that way to allow for the fact that the car will always have a driver, so it's to account for the extra weight on that side of the vehicle. Not convinced myself...
Thanks again Phil,

I've only ever heard that with a recent iteration of the Nissan GTR where I think the drivers side springs were slightly firmer for that reason, like you I'd be unconvinced by that on a standard 325 given the front appears 'level'.

I'll try get a better look, it could be someone a previous owner had a single spring replaced, maybe the springs are different or something else obvious...either way they don't look that difficult to replace.

·
Registered
118 Posts
There is something wrong with your rear springs. I had a similar problem when I purchased my car but only 10mm difference and it was due to a faulty shock which allowed the spring to be over compressed on the one side damaging it.

Unless someone has replaced one of your springs for the incorrect one or reassembled it not at ride height.

You haven't stated what the gap is or what inch wheels you have. Measure from the wheel arch to the bottom of the wheel rim.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is something wrong with your rear springs. I had a similar problem when I purchased my car but only 10mm difference and it was due to a faulty shock which allowed the spring to be over compressed on the one side damaging it.

Unless someone has replaced one of your springs for the incorrect one or reassembled it not at ride height.

You haven't stated what the gap is or what inch wheels you have. Measure from the wheel arch to the bottom of the wheel rim.
Hi, so my car runs 17" wheels:

I went to measure again today and got the following:

NSF - 591 mm
OSF - 585 mm
NSR - 565 mm
OSR - 572 mm

I also found this nugget: https://workshop-manuals.com/bmw/3_series_e92/325i_n52k_coupe/3_technical_data/33__rear_axle/0__general/4_td__rear_axle_ride_height_e92_e93/

It suggests a +/- 10mm difference across the vehicle is within tolerance, so on todays measurement it looks OK, apart from the front and rear measurements appear to line up with the non-sport/sport measurements, so potentially yeah somone has replaced springs at some point, maybe with a differing type front to rear.

One for another day I think.

thanks again,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts