BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to thank all the guys & posts on this forum, after reading about changing over to conventional tyres from rft.Just had mine changed yesterday for 4 new falken fk452"s price £384.00 fitted at my local hawleys tyre centre, WOW what a difference its made no more tramlining, no more wandering about over uneven surfaces, its quieter, car is transformed its brilliant.
Advice to anyone thinking of changing DO IT you wont regret it,dont forget to check with your insurance,think i:ll buy a wheel & tyre from scrapyard for spare & a small jack as using tyre seal renovates the tyre useless anyway is that right.
Anyway can i ask what tyre pressures other falken users set for their tyres as the pressures on the label on the inside of the door are for rft right.THX
I know i:ve only done about 50 miles on new tyres things might change as i get more mileage on them but immediate experience is fantastic.
I know its all been said before but i just wanted to say it & thank everyone & the people who run this fantastic forum

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine is the same car as yours. On 17" wheels I have 30 front and 32 rear - that is towards the lower end of the range off the door jamb.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jeff i had 32 front & 34 rear on the runflats was thinking roundabout 30-32ish will try those settings to see how it goes

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
well done - good man!

·
Registered
124 Posts
My thoughts are that when you have changed to non-RFT's, just forget the runflats and put in the type of pressure that you would in any other car. As it happens, it cooincides with the pressure on the door jamb anyway. Some people seem to want to over-inflate the tyres and to try to replicate the runflat feeling. I have heard of one person putting 45psi in a tyre.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
:jaw-dropping 45psi

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Nigel,

Thanks for the info on your tyre change. I am at the point of changing from RFT's myself and doing some research into what to put on next. Please keep us updated as to how you get on with the Falkens.

Ta

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Done about 300 miles on falkens now they seem to grip well in the dry & wet drive in a straight line no tramlining over uneven roads,over potholes a little less thudding in the car,
A little bit quieter than r/flats i have:nt really pushed it yet but first impressions far better than r/flats,bought myself a space saver from quarry motors £50 + bought a scissor jack £10 noticed at the front of the car u have about 5 inch clearance at the lifting point scissor jack fits under comfortably so all set now bring on the punctures, only kidding, hope i not tempting fate.So all set up now see how many miles i can get out of them,mainly work travel about 30 miles a day.THX all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Nigel
i have also changed my tyres to normal ones. can you pls tell me what size space saver tyre did you buy. my tyres are 205x55rx16 and the space saver i need is 125x18x17 as per BMW dealers. This size are really difficult to find.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
T 115 90 R16 got mine from quarry motors just asked for a tyre my car they gave me that am sure they said it was from a 2005 or 2006 bmw 320d & it would fit my car.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hiya vc10eng done about 600 miles on the falkens now & dont seem too bad cant wait for some dry weather just to push them a bit on bends to test them out safely of course,in the weather we have now they seem ok but a little less grippy when pulling out at junctions & roundabouts DTC light flashing like blackpool illuminations,noisewise a little less noisy than rft,at the moment i had more confidence in the runflats pirelli europhoria"s super grip on those tyres,but for £80 a corner mid range cant grumble.
Will keep updating as i get more miles on them.THX

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have done about 2000 miles on mine and can report still very happy with levels of grip and comfort - i guess the real test will come when they start to go low on tread

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Hi. Did you have you change the wheels as well? I have a 318i se 2009, I spoke to 2 garages and they said that my wheels would not accept NON run flats tyres.
Totally wrong. Tell them they are stooopid.

The rims are the same as normal, all the RFT technology is in the tyres.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done about 2000 miles on falkens now they are a lot better now they scrubbed up,seem to be a little less quieter now, grip wet & dry okay still trying to dodge damn potholes trying not to damage tyres.Happy at last

1 - 16 of 16 Posts