BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2007 120d Msport 177bhp flat spot around 1500-2000 rpm.

10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Andpot 
#1 ·
Hi all!
My girlfriend has a 2007 120d msport - 177bhp. It has never "put a foot wrong" in the 4 years we have owned it, but over the last few weeks she has noticed a flat spot around 1500-2000rpm. Only noticeable when labouring the engine, rather than driving hard up through the gears. It drives so well and goes "like a rocket" (so she tells me!) the rest of the time.
I have had the codes read, which flagged up 4A6EH/19054 (undocumented code). Secondly 4A5E (glow plug cylinder 2 activation). I am tempted to discount the second code, as I can't see how a singular glow plug can cause this complaint, but I could be wrong??? Has anyone else stumbled across either of these codes or had a similar problem to this? I have looked at this forum and have noticed some similar posts, but not exactly the same.
I am a mechanic myself (unfortunately not had much experience with modern BMWs though!) and have heard through various channels that the turbo actuators can cause issues?? The actuator on this one can be moved manually by hand its full travel with what appears to be a fairish amount of resistance. I've also heard that disassembling/ cleaning / lubing the actuator can sometimes help, but I am reluctant to do this at this stage in case I screw things up! Any help on this issue would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

#3 ·
I have had the codes read by a more substantial code reader and it has come up with - 4DFF Swirl flap actuator, flap position implausible and 4E09 Swirl flap plausibility. Can I assume that the flaps/ actuator are sticking? Would removing the swirl flaps be a good idea? I did remove the swirl flaps on our previous car (E46 320d), just as a precautionary measure. Any ideas welcomed! Many thanks, Gavin.

#4 ·
Hi there. I'm afraid I haven't as yet!
I removed the swirl flaps a couple of weeks ago though just to be on the safe side! So glad I did, as there was so much free play in them and they looked as though they could have broken up at any moment! The flat spot is still there and so I am planning to temporarily disable the EGR valve to see if that makes any difference.
I'll keep you posted!
Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.