BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi I am looking for some help from the experts with a fault that I have been unable to diagnose. The car has a very rough idle and stalls. At higher revs it stutters. There are also times that it will idle smoothly and there sounds to be nothing wrong. The car always starts easily. The engine light is on and if cleared the fault comes back very quickly. The codes are P0011 and P0014. Digging deeper the BMW specific codes are Vanos inlet adaptation stop 2870 and Vanos exhaust adaptation stop 283D.

I suspected the timing chain had jumped but I have checked the timing with the specific tools and it is fine. I changed the chain, rails and tensioner thinking it was a chain stretch issue. The fault remains. When the timing is set with the tools and then car starts the engine runs smoothly and then starts the rough idle.

I have removed the Vanos Solenoids, cleaned them and tested that they actuate. All oil ways appear very clean and there is no sludge. I suspected cam shaft position sensors so I did a crude test by powering them and looking at the DVM change when a metallic object passes them. Both seem to function OK but one has a lower magnetism than the other. Switching their positions does not provide any conclusive change. Looking at the scan tool set points vs actual shows some deviation on one or other but does not seem to be specific to either the exhaust or inlet side. For example setpoint reads 112 and actual 130 but there's no consistency specific to the the cam sensor location.

I don't want to throw money at this without proper diagnosis. I am wondering whether there is a problem with the Vanos itself within the cam sprockets? Or could this be a problem with oil pressure? There are no other signs oil pressure is a problem. Crank sensor is another possibility but scan tool shows correct engine rotation speed so unlikely.

Are there any specific diagnostic tests I should use? I could try getting a copy of INPA, is that likely to be any help? Car has done 113k and from what I can see engine appears in good condition.

Any help much appreciated

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any help please?

I have checked power to solenoids and to cam sensors.

Has anyone seen problems with the oil seals on the end of the camshaft either side of the VANOS oil journal? I am thinking if these leak then the oil pressure to the VANOS will be lost and may cause lack of vein rotation?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Anyone?

I have found disconnecting the plug to the exhaust solenoid causes the engine to idle correctly. Swapping the exhaust solenoid for the inlet solenoid has the same effect so the problem is not the solenoid. This is a fault either with the exhaust VANOS actuator or the oil feed to it. Oil feed is unlikely though as there is no indication of low oil pressure or any sludge that could cause this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have changed both the inlet and exhaust Vanos actuators and the problem persists. Any ideas please?

Fault codes are
2870 Vanos inlet adaptation stop
283D Vanos exhaust adapation stop

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have changed both the inlet and exhaust Vanos actuators and the problem persists. Any ideas please?

Fault codes are

Fault codes are
Hi,
Did you get anywhere with this fault, I'm having similar issues

Thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I 'm still struggling. I changed both Vanos solenoids just to be sure but problem persists. I took off the oil sump to check for the pick up being restricted but there is no sign of debris. I am thinking this must be an oil way issue so will probably take the head off next. It is as if the Vanos timing is out but I am using the correct timing tools and have double checked so its not that.

What problems are you having?

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, I 'm still struggling. I changed both Vanos solenoids just to be sure but problem persists. I took off the oil sump to check for the pick up being restricted but there is no sign of debris. I am thinking this must be an oil way issue so will probably take the head off next. It is as if the Vanos timing is out but I am using the correct timing tools and have double checked so its not that.

What problems are you having?
Did you found what the issue was ? Struggling with the same symptoms , i changed vanos solenoids , vanos gears , done the timing with proper tools and it does the same thing always , i am runing with disconnected vanos ...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a second hand engine from a crashed car that was running fine. I took my engine out and replaced it with that one. The problem is exactly the same. So it has nothing to do with blocked oil ways etc. It must be the ECU not controlling it. It is possible that the adaptations need to be reset. Mine is a 2007 LCI and INPA won't recognise the ECU version so I cant reset it with that or do the valve gear tests. I am going to try loading ISTA D and see if that enables me to reset.

It has become a mission to find out the root cause. I am not driving the car and economically it is not worth it but I want to find the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You changed all the engine , so it is probably a DME fault , did you change the harness too or you are using the old one .
I experience the same symptoms too , i already changed solenois , vanos gears and done the timing with n45 tools . Finally the mechanic told me it could be the oil pump not delivering enough pressure to the vanos .
Now i believe , it is more a electrical fault than a mechanical timing that has failed .
Do you get hiccups when driving ?
Did you try driving it with both solenoids off , i am driving it since 1 years with them off , have a lack of power and less MPG but it's runing fine .
I keep with you on that thread , i am trying to find someone who has ISTA D to re ajdust the Vanos Adaptations , i've read in a german Forum , that resetting adaptations with ISTA D solved the issue , hope it will do the same for us .
Have a good day .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello , just as an update for this issue , the solution for me was to reset adaptations using ISTA+ , the car run smooth since then .
Hope you will be fixed too

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, thanks for the update. Mine is now fixed too. I eventually got ISTA D loaded and sure enough resetting the adaptations worked. It now runs very smooth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, thanks for the update. Mine is now fixed too. I eventually got ISTA D loaded and sure enough resetting the adaptations worked. It now runs very smooth.
Hi I have exactly the same issues with my n45 116i I’ve reset adaptations and still no joy. Please can you advise exactly what you did with ista?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts