BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I'm from France and I'm looking for some testimonies about troubles with particulate filter (dpf) on 2006 330d engine (231hp).

This is what happened with mine, particulate filter failed that caused a fire on engine bay, the issue was a total destruction of the car.

After dismantlement of the car by myself, you can see the engine bay after fire and the DPF after the problem.

An other owner of E91 330d 2006 had the same problem with exactly the same state of the dpf after fire.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
I know it was theoretical, but I hadn't seen it happen before.

The DPF/FAP collects soot in the filter, and when it has a chance, the ECU will increase the exhaust gas temperature so the DPF will reach 600'C + to burn off the soot.
When the filter starts to gather too much soot, the ECU can refuse to regenerate (burn off the soot) as it can have a thermal runaway.

A thermal runaway is where the large mass of burning carbon produces enough heat to start a chain reaction, and increase the temperature further by itself.
At this point, it is generating enough heat that it does not need the exhaust gas temperature to start the reaction.

The possibility of thermal runaway is known, and it is well controlled so it is very rare (this is the first case I have heard of)

Another possibility might be a manufacturing defect or damage to the DPF allowing the hot exhaust gasses to escape, but it does look like the DPF casing has melted from high temperatures.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right, DPF casing has melted during regeneration and hot gases had melted engine block aluminium. I think there is manufacturing defect or sensors defect on 2006 330d engine because I didn't have any red or orange lights on instrument panel or idrive screen.

I never had DPF problems before.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.