BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I have to stick to run flats, synter was going on about it could void insurance, rang insurance they said as long as the tyre is the right one for the car ??

Very confusing, anyone with any experience of this, would appreciate what others have done?

Many thanks

wouldnt mind these bad boys on the back

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/255-35-18-PIRELLI-P-ZERO-CORSA-TYRES-NEW_W0QQitemZ380108522946QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Tyres_RL?hash=item380108522946&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1689%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah cheers, still cant seem to get a straight answer though. Alot of conflicting information on whether you can do this, also cant seem to find anything about which tyres will fit on the rims. Some say you only need a bmw repair kit and you can swap them. I went to loads of tyre places at the weekend and you get the teeth sucking... you have to have the run flats, insurance etc etc. Im sure most of them didnt know what they where talking about as they seem more confused than me.

Seems to be no clear guidelines on this.... and also it seems a right rip off.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I think they may also be sensing the ££££'s in their eyes !

Some 1's now come with convenional tyres, as do the e60 5 series on the optional 19's. The tyres will fit the rims too.

You will get a better ride, slightly less turn-in, but I would go for it, I intend to next time for sure.

You could always have a word with your insurers ? I think they will be concerned with having tyres that are legal and in good condition and that is the end of their concern. They will want right size/right speed rating IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to them.. this is where i started to dispair, the girl on the end of the phone kept saying the same thing.... the tyres have to be the correct ones for the car, end of

what the f** is that supposed to mean, so she said it again....... i can feel that twitch to get it on autotrader

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
guess i need to keep ringing round the garages till i find one who knows what im on about, nearly all the ones in mansfield either looked scared or greedy for the money.. i thought i could just get some off ebay and get someone to fit them. Also i heard there really hard to fit

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Have a word with the tyre fitters at you local BMW dealers, they fit them all day long and your wheels will be unmarked. They may also do a good price, my local dealer matched the best price I could find on RFT's last time.

It's a question of finding someone with the right equipment rather than tired old gear which flexes and marks the rims.

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
Hi Drtroy - forgive me mate but WTF you telling your insurance for when you are changing tyres from rft to non rft? You gonna phone them up when you replace an indicator light bulb with a non bmw one?

Sorry not trying to be arsy mate but it is none of there business...

Many, many people have changed the tyres and i am one of them, i too had trouble when phoning local tyre shops. saying oh you must put rft back on.... it;s a load o bollocks and an excuse to make money. Never looked back and got a better ride

so do it now i tell you - change to non rft now :) Red :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I asked them because when i went for a service and mentioned it they said it may invalidate my insurance and that I should check. And funny enough the garages I have spoken to have said the same thing, my dispair was that the insurance company didnt give me a black and white response, so if you change your tyres and you are involved in an accident the insurance company may not pay out.... which would be about right

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.