BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The topic has surely been discussed already somewhere but I couldn’t find it with the search option.

For reasons beyond my imagination the Germans thought not to install a level indicator for water (and oil as well for that matters) on the dashboard of new 3 series. It would be useful in this time of year to know when the engine is in temperature, wouldn’t it? You can feel it but with no indication it’s just not the same…

I’ve read that some BMW dealers say that modern engines give you the right amount of power when the engine has just started and gradually give you more and more as you go on, actually making the temperature indication useless. Despite this would explain the MASSIVE difference in consumption that I get in winter compared to the summer, I’ve been told that it’s just a load of bull. Your point of view? How is your driving style in this weather when the car is cold with no temperature indication? Drive gently for 5 miles and then put the foot down?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
Can you not check the engine temp on the I drive?
No, I have been through mine tonight and no temperature function. I am getting paranoid after the sensor issue I posted earlier this week.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There actually is a "secret" menu but is complicated as hell, it'd been a lot easier with an old-fashioned level indicator! :mad

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
There actually is a "secret" menu but is complicated as hell, it'd been a lot easier with an old-fashioned level indicator! :mad

Wouldn't it just. All you know now is that when it seizes it was probably running too hot !

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
That is what I had heard, I believe if it does get low or too hot it alerts you quite soon but it's not the same as having a proper gauge :cool

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The instructions to the secret menu are below, this is especially useful to those of you who can read Italian (sorry :sarcastic)

Innanzitutto procurati il numero di telaio della tua auto, che dovrebbe finire con 2 lettere e 5 numeri (es. AB12345). Somma queste ultime 5 cifre e tieni da parte il risultato.
A questo punto inserisci il telecomando/chiave nell'apposita fessura tenendo premuto il tastino sul quadro (il micro-tastino che serve ad azzerare il contachilometri parziale). Devi PRIMA premere il tastino e MENTRE lo stai premendo inserisci il telecomando. Dovresti entrare nel menù "segreto". Ora devi navigare col suddetto tastino di reset. I menù sono strutturati tipo 01.00 - 02.00 etc ed i sotto menù sono
01.00-01.01-01.02-01.03 etc. Per selezioare un menù devi premere più volte
il tastino reset, in modo da selezionare 01.00-02.00 etc. Se rimani fermo per 2 secondi entri nel sottomenù (01.00-01.01-01.02 etc), per ritornare al
menù principale basta che arrivi al sottomenù 00 (es. 01.00) e premi per 2 secondi il tastino reset, e riappare 01._ _, vuol dire che se premi più
volte il tastino reset vai al 02. _ _ - 03. _ _, etc.
Con queste premesse arriva al menù 19 ed appare la scritta "lock ON", resta fermo per 2 secondi per entrare nel sottomenù ed appare "CODE 00". A questo punto premi il tastino reset più volte fino ad arrivare al numero risultato della somma delle ultime 5 cifre del telaio. Se la procedura è andata a buon fine dovresti ritornare nel menù 01.00. Vai avanti fino al menù 7.00, resta fermo per 2 secondi e finalmente entri nel sottomenù 07.01, cioè temperatura liquido di raffreddamento.
Se ti interessa, il menù 6 riguarda la quantità di carburante nel serbatoio, il menù 7.03 i giri effettivi del
motore, il menù 8.01 la velocità effettiva (precisissima) mentre 8.02 quella indicata dal tachimetro ma in digitale (quindi con un certo scarto in più rispetto a quella effettiva), il menù 9 indica la tensione della
batteria. Per uscire dal menù devi estrarre la chiave.
Il menù segreto non coesiste col menù standard del computer di bordo, devi scegliere l'uno o l'altro da visualizzare.

Soooooo, how do you go on about using your beast when the engine is cold? Have some kind of rule of thumb or what? Bof.... Germans... :mad

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The instructions to the secret menu are below, this is especially useful to those of you who can read Italian (sorry :sarcastic)

Innanzitutto procurati il numero di telaio della tua auto, che dovrebbe finire con 2 lettere e 5 numeri (es. AB12345). Somma queste ultime 5 cifre e tieni da parte il risultato.
A questo punto inserisci il telecomando/chiave nell'apposita fessura tenendo premuto il tastino sul quadro (il micro-tastino che serve ad azzerare il contachilometri parziale). Devi PRIMA premere il tastino e MENTRE lo stai premendo inserisci il telecomando. Dovresti entrare nel menù "segreto". Ora devi navigare col suddetto tastino di reset. I menù sono strutturati tipo 01.00 - 02.00 etc ed i sotto menù sono
01.00-01.01-01.02-01.03 etc. Per selezioare un menù devi premere più volte
il tastino reset, in modo da selezionare 01.00-02.00 etc. Se rimani fermo per 2 secondi entri nel sottomenù (01.00-01.01-01.02 etc), per ritornare al
menù principale basta che arrivi al sottomenù 00 (es. 01.00) e premi per 2 secondi il tastino reset, e riappare 01._ _, vuol dire che se premi più
volte il tastino reset vai al 02. _ _ - 03. _ _, etc.
Con queste premesse arriva al menù 19 ed appare la scritta "lock ON", resta fermo per 2 secondi per entrare nel sottomenù ed appare "CODE 00". A questo punto premi il tastino reset più volte fino ad arrivare al numero risultato della somma delle ultime 5 cifre del telaio. Se la procedura è andata a buon fine dovresti ritornare nel menù 01.00. Vai avanti fino al menù 7.00, resta fermo per 2 secondi e finalmente entri nel sottomenù 07.01, cioè temperatura liquido di raffreddamento.
Se ti interessa, il menù 6 riguarda la quantità di carburante nel serbatoio, il menù 7.03 i giri effettivi del
motore, il menù 8.01 la velocità effettiva (precisissima) mentre 8.02 quella indicata dal tachimetro ma in digitale (quindi con un certo scarto in più rispetto a quella effettiva), il menù 9 indica la tensione della
batteria. Per uscire dal menù devi estrarre la chiave.
Il menù segreto non coesiste col menù standard del computer di bordo, devi scegliere l'uno o l'altro da visualizzare.

Soooooo, how do you go on about using your beast when the engine is cold? Have some kind of rule of thumb or what? Bof.... Germans... :mad
Babel fish :rofl

First get the chassis number of your car, which should end up with 2 letters and 5 numbers (eg AB12345). Sum them and keep 5 digits from the result.
Then enter the remote / key into the slot while pressing the button on the framework (the micro-button used to reset the odometer). You must first press the button and while you're pressing enter remote. You should enter the men? "secret." Now that you have to navigate the reset button. The men? are structured type 01.00 - 02.00 and sub etc men? are
01.00-01.01-01.02-01.03 etc. To select a men? you have to press more? times
the reset button, to select 01.00-02.00 etc. If you stay still for 2 seconds to enter into sottomen? (01.00-01.01-01.02 etc), to return to
men? main just come to sottomen? 00 (eg 01.00) and press for 2 seconds, the reset button, and reappears 01._ _, it means that if you press more?
Sometimes the reset button go to 02. _ _ - 03. _ _, Etc..
Against this backdrop comes to men? 19, and the word "lock ON", remains at a standstill for 2 seconds to enter the sottomen? and it appears "CODE 00". Then press the reset button pi? sometimes until the outcome of the total number of the last 5 digits of the frame. If the procedure? successful you should return to their men? 01.00. Go forward until the men? 7.00, remains locked for 2 seconds, and finally enter the sottomen? 07.01, what? coolant temperature.
If you are interested, the men? 6 refers to the quantity? fuel tank, the men? 7:03 actual tours
engine, the men? 8:01 speed? effective (accurate) and that given by 8:02 but the digital speedometer (with a certain gap in the most effective than that), the men? 9 shows the voltage
battery. To leave the men? you must remove the key.
The men? no secret coexists with men? Standard on-board computer, you must choose one or the other to show.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a good effort Ronnie (albeit Babelfish helped ;)). If I can find the time I could translate it (I'm Italian), but I think it would be useless, my point is that this 'secret' menu is absurd and awfully difficult, the Germans should've thought it better, there's no excuse for not putting a couple of indicators more... :mad:mad:mad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.