BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had non-RFT tyres fitted on my 330D for just over a year now. They are Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetrics

I checked my tyre pressures earlier. Most of my tyres were only about 0.05-0.1 bar out. The issue is my passenger side rear tyre though. This was 0.75bar out!!!

Now I have noticed this the last time I checked my pressures. I just thought it was a one off.

The car seems to be driving ok although i do think that one of the wheels may be slightly buckled due to a light vibration on the steering wheel when doing above 60mph.

If this rear wheel is buckled, could this be causing the drop in pressure?
If not, then what could the cause be?

Cheers

·
Registered
781 Posts
It could be leaking around the rim. BMW alloys are notorious for corrosion causing poor sealing of the tyre against the rim.

Take the wheel off and lay it flat then get some soapy liquid of a thickish consistency and spread it around the rim. If you get bubbles it's leaking (check both sides and also check around the valve).

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could always just have a puncture....:thumbsup
Surely if it was just a puncture, it would just go totally flat, but it never has.

It could be leaking around the rim. BMW alloys are notorious for corrosion causing poor sealing of the tyre against the rim.

Take the wheel off and lay it flat then get some soapy liquid of a thickish consistency and spread it around the rim. If you get bubbles it's leaking (check both sides and also check around the valve).
Yeah will give this a try when I get a chance. Cheers

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Take it to a decent tyre fitter and ask them? They may well remove and refit for a tenner, and seat the tyre correctly?

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
funny you should bring this up - very common problem as stated with BMW alloys

wife's E46 had two wheels that were leaking around the rim and they would typically lose 10 psi over the other two tyres. I took the car to a backsreet tyre place in Coventry over the xmas break,and he sorted them out by immersing in a tub of water and checking for air bubbles. Both had leaks on the inner edge, so took the tyres off, rubbed the inner lips down and sealed again. All for the princely sum of £15 :thumbsup

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Surely if it was just a puncture, it would just go totally flat, but it never has.
Leave it long enough and see what happens;)..... If a nail or something is lodged in the tyre then it could be loosing pressure slowly....

P.S. It could also be a dodgy valve, a poorly seated rim or loosing pressure due to osmosis(OK I am being silly with this one!) - but I tend to look for the easiest/most obvious solution TBH..:thumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts