BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine has suddenly cut out three times in the last two days without warning. Has anyone elese experienced this?

Today I was doing about 50mph and still accelerating quite hard when I lost all power, I was left in a dengerous porition around a blind bend on a 60mph country road.

I removed the key, and started the car again without any problems.

I had a diesel pump replaced last week and took it back to the garage today who stated it was most likely an electrical fault..they ran their diagnostics and it showed no faults.

They have asked for the car for a full day to attempt to diagnose the fault. Hopefuly they get to the bottom of it quickly

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The garage has had the car for 4 days now.

Got told the fault is now a control unti that us fried, apparently it is tucked into the padding in behind the rear seats somehwhere, the new unit has been ordered at £170 + VAT. and this will be fitted as and when BMW in Giffnock deliver it.

Hopefuly this will be the end of my woes for a while, starting to consider going back to Audi

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it's a local garage, they reckon the control unit failing led to my diesel pump packing in with the constant stopping and starting etc...I remain a bit dubious

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Diesel unti replaced, drove 19 miles, same fault returned...bit the bullet and got it inot Harry Fairbairn BMW in Irvine...they diagnosed 2 faulty diesel injector, picked the car up last night, drove about 7 miles and the engine cut out again withpout warning, this time I was doing 70mph on a fast A road approaching a roundabout, scary when the brakes arent working and the steering is really difficult to tirn.

The BMW garage now have it back and as yet I have had no news, I think they are scratching their heads and a bit stumped.

I mentioned to the service desk I had hearf of a sault on Scania lorries which had exactly the same symptoms and this was caused by an engine immobiliser fault.

She said she'd let the techs get on with what they were doing and mention it to them later.....I bet she doesn't rwll them!

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Needs driving with the diagnostic equipment plugged in recording the data or a Crecorder to log the live data. That should show up the problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks chaps, I'll get on to them on Monday morning and bring up the info...I'll update the thread soon as I get any news.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The bmw techs have now advised the dealer to replace the final 4 diesel injectors, if this doesn't work they will be replacing the ECU, I'm so peeved with this, the other 4 injectors are £1600, the replacement ECU is £900....where does it end!!!

wish the bloody thing would burst into flames!

I went out today and put a deposit on a Seat Altea FR with 18k on the clock, really sick of this BMW , this is my first and to be honest, never again.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Keep us updated on the fix to this please:thumbsup I'm not convinced what there doing will solve it:confused

And sorry your having a poor experience of BMW :frown

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The bmw techs have now advised the dealer to replace the final 4 diesel injectors, if this doesn't work they will be replacing the ECU, I'm so peeved with this, the other 4 injectors are £1600, the replacement ECU is £900....where does it end!!!

wish the bloody thing would burst into flames!

I went out today and put a deposit on a Seat Altea FR with 18k on the clock, really sick of this BMW , this is my first and to be honest, never again.
Sorry to hear that Andy, :frown, sounds to me that they are just guessing and throwing bits at the car without actually doing some proper diagnostic work. :frown

Let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all six diesel injectors now changed, they called me today and told me the car was runnig great and that I was to come and collect it, Paid the bill and within minutes of getting in the car it felt very sluggish, wouldn't go above 80mph and kickdown would not work.

Took it straight back to the dealer who looked very embarrased....again!

they plugged it in and a fault code came up something like F377 charge pressure activation.....anyway, they gave me back the courtesy car and will be getting on with it tomorrow...fingers crossed/

If it doesn't work this time or they want another fortune I'll be trading it in. it's got to nearly £4000 spent on it in the last month and the car is still isnt right.

·
Registered
282 Posts
they will do a snapshot of data on a road test with the box of tricks pluged in...so when it does cut out they can study the data back ar the workshop ...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They have cleared the fault code and ran it today with no issues. I have asked them to keep it for another couple of days and use it as a personal runaround for one of their trusted techs or service managers to make sure the faults are completely clear before giving it back to me.

This was agreed, really not up for trading it in so if it's back to tip top condition it'll be getting sold privately

the main thing that is getting to me is I absolutely love the car, it gives me a smile every time I drive it and is the best looking e90 touring by far in my area

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
they will do a snapshot of data on a road test with the box of tricks pluged in...so when it does cut out they can study the data back ar the workshop ...
I honestly don't think they are that clever. I did ask the service desk if there was a more experienced tech who could work on the car and they told me he was a senior tech. I really felt bad asking as the guy might be a brilliant tech. to a layman it appears this should be his "bread and butter" and it has taken two weeks and still there are probs

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would be arguing tooth and nail over why you have had around 4000 pounds worth of parts fitted(that obviously all weren't needed) and its still not fixed the car, yet you're expected to pay for that! :mad

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would be arguing tooth and nail over why you have had around 4000 pounds worth of parts fitted(that obviously all weren't needed) and its still not fixed the car, yet you're expected to pay for that! :mad
To be fair, this dealer has had had just under 3k from me, the cutting out and non starting fault seem to have disappeared, the fault is now a huge lack in power and the car won't kickdown at all.....the dealer tells me this is now resolved, I will hold my judgement unitl I drive it and have a week of trouble free motoring

1 - 20 of 28 Posts