BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate the RFT’S on my 320si , and want to swap to Non RFT’S, the general opinion on he forums is that’s its ok to do this, I rang round 6 tyre dealers this morning and the response from all was don’t change the RFT’S to NON RFT'S, Reasons being..........

Non RFT don't fit on the rims.

The tyre will come of if you have a puncher

The car won't drive probably

But how does it affect the drive of the car after running on such hard tyres would it be advisable to get a reinforced tyre such as the GOODYEAR F1’S (REINFORCED)

Your advice please.

I just want to make the right decision and not regret swapping to NON RFT’S

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hate the RFT’S on my 320si , and want to swap to Non RFT’S, the general opinion on he forums is that’s its ok to do this, I rang round 6 tyre dealers this morning and the response from all was don’t change the RFT’S to NON RFT'S, Reasons being..........

Non RFT don't fit on the rims.

The tyre will come of if you have a puncher

The car won't drive probably

But how does it affect the drive of the car after running on such hard tyres would it be advisable to get a reinforced tyre such as the GOODYEAR F1’S (REINFORCED)

Your advice please.

I just want to make the right decision and not regret swapping to NON RFT’S

Non RFT's will fit the rims. Sounds like the dealer having ££££'s in his eyes.

The tyre will react as per a normal tyre, it will come off the rim in certain circumstances, however, so will an RFT, I know, I have had it happen to me.

The car will drive fine.

The softer sidewall, even with a tyre with an extra load rating will possibly give a softer turn-in, but will give benefits elsewhere, less bump steer for instance. As I have noted in other responses to posts on here;

Alpina versions run conventional tyres
5 series on 19's run conventional tyres
1 series, certain models will shortly have conventional tyres as OEM

It is down to personal choice, both options are compromised. If you look at all the posts on here, nobody regrets changing, yet planty complain of RFT's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will I get a compromised car or a car that wants to stay on the road when it gets slightly damp, that will go round corners with out the back end slipping away, only to be bought in line by the DTC.

The hard ride is not the issue that I can live with, its control under spirited driving that I’m trying to achieve , Just like my old 320d sport that very rarely saw the DTC.

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I have those on my E93 in RFT and had them on my E46 in conventionals. They are pretty grippy IMO in the wet/damp until they get down a bit when like most tyres they are compromised. You will find that the RE050 appear to wear on the edges irrespective of what car they are on which does not help when it comes to water dispersal in the wet.
If you are after outright grip then going non RFT will give you a wider choice of brands.
Just as an aside, I had a reminder of the comprimised charecteristics of RFT's today when pressing on, hit a bump, mid corner, car moves off line, hit another, moved off line again. Son looks at me out of the passenger seat and says 'I was just choosing which bit of hedge we were going to go through'.
If only to avoid this, I will be ditching my RFT's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.