BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have recently purchased a 06 320d M sport Automatic and have been a little concerned with the MPG. When doing short trips (aprox 5-10miles) frequently, it is only returning between 27 - 31 mpg. If I reset on a motorway I can get 40 but thats about as good as it gets. From what I have read, you should be able to get 40 all day long with these engines??? Took it in to the dealer, they cant find a problem, but mentioned it does alot of short runs.
What should I realisticly be expecting?

Help appreciated.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
You will never hit near the book figures, also being RWD it adds to the MPG, If you have Run flats then it won't help due to their weight. I would think 31MPG be about right around town but we will soon see when more members post up :cool

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd like to hear from some more auto E9x owners on this. How close to 'actual' MPG numbers have people really been getting?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hi
I have recently purchased a 06 320d M sport Automatic and have been a little concerned with the MPG. When doing short trips (aprox 5-10miles) frequently, it is only returning between 27 - 31 mpg. If I reset on a motorway I can get 40 but thats about as good as it gets. From what I have read, you should be able to get 40 all day long with these engines??? Took it in to the dealer, they cant find a problem, but mentioned it does alot of short runs.
What should I realisticly be expecting?

Help appreciated.
I'm only getting 30mpg out of my week-old 55 plate 320d (BMW approved used car)
It clearly needs a new MAF or EGR, both of which may not show up on a diagnostic machine.
It should achieve 42 urban, 50 motorway. A little less for the auto.

My older (03) 320d does 52mpg all day long, 45 if i'm spanking it.

My money's on the Maf or a dirty air filter (only changed every 3 rd oil change !!!!!!!!!)

I'll keep you updated with the dealers response . . . .

Reactions: Ronnie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I look forward to hearing what your dealer has to say. My Mum has a E92 320d M sport and it returns around 40mpg whatever it's doing.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I look forward to hearing what your dealer has to say. My Mum has a E92 320d M sport and it returns around 40mpg whatever it's doing.
An email and 2 phone calls today with no esponse from the dealer yet. Blood pressure beginning to rise. Now at 36mpg average, but still very unhappy about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 55 320d manual. Around town I'm lucky to get much above 30 mpg. On the motorway I get closer to 50 mpg. not sure whether this is normal, but I did expect a little more around town.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have a 55 320d manual. Around town I'm lucky to get much above 30 mpg. On the motorway I get closer to 50 mpg. not sure whether this is normal, but I did expect a little more around town.
It doesn't sound right, although 'around town' could mean pootling around Swindon or gridlocked in Kensington.
In a regular town/city environment you should be getting around 35mpg, motorways well over 50, and an overall average of at least mid 40's.

Our newer one is visiting Dick Lovett (Bristol) for a full diagnostic on Monday, as apparently 30mpg "is perhaps a little low" - 'NO SH!T SHERLOCK'

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm now posting the results in a different thread.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2006-e91-320d-m-sport-touring-fuel-consumption-t8332/

I've probably had 10 phone calls to the dealer this week. The car is still doing between 35.5mpg and 38mpg with my very light footed wife at the wheel.

BMW diag showed no faults at all but they agree that it should achieve more than 40mpg. They are liaising with BMW UK technical dept to work out what may be at fault.

I spoke with a really good Indy and he said, if the BMW Computer can't find a fault then it must be a really unusual problem, because apparently, it's like the Kray!

Keep you posted.

RP

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm now posting the results in a different thread.

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2006-e91-320d-m-sport-touring-fuel-consumption-t8332/

I've probably had 10 phone calls to the dealer this week. The car is still doing between 35.5mpg and 38mpg with my very light footed wife at the wheel
RP
My slow driving wife always manages to achieve worse MPG than me, even though I drive faster. This is because of her driving style. - Lots of sudden changes to acceleration / braking. If you drive smoothly, with light acceleration and maintaining a constant speed, not press - release - press again on the accelerator as my wife always does, MPG will improve a lot.

This may not be the problem, but it an idea to consider.

Also generally (not just BMW) MAF's cause poor MPG, not because they go faulty, but because they become very slow to respond to changes in airflow. They don't throw fault codes when they do this, but it does make a difference with a new MAF

·
Registered
220 Posts
My slow driving wife always manages to achieve worse MPG than me, even though I drive faster. This is because of her driving style. - Lots of sudden changes to acceleration / braking. If you drive smoothly, with light acceleration and maintaining a constant speed, not press - release - press again on the accelerator as my wife always does, MPG will improve a lot.

This may not be the problem, but it an idea to consider.

Also generally (not just BMW) MAF's cause poor MPG, not because they go faulty, but because they become very slow to respond to changes in airflow. They don't throw fault codes when they do this, but it does make a difference with a new MAF
I'm still hoping it is something as simple as a MAF. I took the car out for a spirited drive and got it under 30mpg, so it's definately the car and not us. ;)

Going to go and have a proper moan today.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Right Guys, check the other thread for the answer . . . . .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts