BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased my E90 318i about 3 weeks ago and up until a few days ago it drove fine. Now when travelling at low speed and particularly when going round corners the engine cuts out and leaves me with no power. It re-starts straight away with no problems. It doesn't do this all the time - drove 150 miles backfrom Wales on Monday and it was fine but cut out yesterday on the way to work.

I've taken it to a garage and no fault codes can be found?

Am at a complete loss with what I should do next so any advice would be really appreciated.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You mean, car just completly shutting off with no power left, or just engine shutting off? No warning lights on the dash? It simply can be bed battery terminals connection, or somewhere a water leak/condensation after heavy rain which causing wiring problems, especially condensation on ECU. Also it can be a problems with valvetronic, its including VVT Servomotor, camshaft sensors and ect.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for reply, sometimes the engine light comes on and the car stutters before light dissapears and the car drives fine again
other times engine light comes on and car cuts out completely (including abs and power steering). It usually starts straight back up and drives fine. although the last time it wouldnt start again for 10 mins before starting and driving as if nothing had happened. It always happens at low speed and usually when turning right. took it to my local garage who couldnt find any problem when connected to computer. they said could be electrical fault. I have read something about crankshaft sensor as this doesnt show up on diognostic machines. Thanks

·
Registered
62 Posts
Difficult to say what can be wrong... Could you proper warm up car and try accelerate it at 7k RPM for a second and have a look what will happiness, that way there is possibility to detect VVT servomotor problem. Would be great if you could get your own INPA or DIS v57 diagnostic software installed on your computer, than it would be much easier to play around the car, otherwise it can cost you lots of money and time till you'll find a problem, because dealers as you know is not cheap and they just will be replacing parts one by one... If you good with mechanic skills, than prepare your self to spend some time and try to get it fixed by your self... Me, I spend all summer to get my BMW E90 320i fixed as it was reducing power, burning oil, vaccum leak, oil leaks, sensor's problems and ect.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Try this it worked for me when proper diagnostic gear wasn't picking up a camshaft sensor problem:

Buy a cheap and cheerful diagnostic scanner such as:

U480 Any car OBD2 EOBD CAN BUS Fault Code Diagnostic Reader Scanner tool UK | eBay

and keep in your car. When the car stalls plug in the scanner without restarting the car and in my case the fault code was there. After restarting the car and 30 minutes later getting home, there was no fault code!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

Hi robbo69,
i have same car and same problem. Exactly the same.
Have you sort out the problem? Mind to share solution?

I purchased my E90 318i about 3 weeks ago and up until a few days ago it drove fine. Now when travelling at low speed and particularly when going round corners the engine cuts out and leaves me with no power. It re-starts straight away with no problems. It doesn't do this all the time - drove 150 miles backfrom Wales on Monday and it was fine but cut out yesterday on the way to work.

I've taken it to a garage and no fault codes can be found?

Am at a complete loss with what I should do next so any advice would be really appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts