BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My first post and I wish I found this forum before. I'm new to BMW ownership having been a Ford / Honda man before.

My first purchase has been a 120d M Sport that I love - far more solid than the Honda, and better quality interior and mpg blows the thirsty Honda away. The car is April 2006 which now has 18000 miles on the clock.

I bought the car in June 08 from a BMW dealer and I'm the second owner. Serviced in 06 and April 08...blank for 07.

My question is that the service light has come on as its a year since the previous service, but the mileage says there is another 8000 to go. Now either I'm misinformed or mislead but as this is my first Diesel I'm a bit green - I was told that Diesels are serviced by mileage not time. I guess this is wrong ?

Looking at the history the fact that 2007 is blank it maybe true ?

Shall I book a 3yr service or wait for the mileage to hit 25k (probably about 8 months away) ?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neal

Many thanks for the reply an interesting read.

I read on another post the common problems with the 1 series -

- Rear washer not working
- Sticky door handles

I have both. Tried cleaning the washer jet with a needle but still nothing. Whats the next step ?

Rear door handle sticks and is annoying when passengers get in and it doesn't shut. Tried spraying some WD4 in but no improvement. Is there a knack to this ?

Thanks
John

·
Registered
352 Posts
door handles are a warranty problem. mine do it - i have used some molykote white grease. still not perfect

as for the washers i'm afraid it's a washer bottle removal job. the filters on the pumps get blocked up with gunge and need a clean.

fiddly job. Hint un plug drivers repeat indicator in wing !!(the wiring is clipped to the washer bottle)

It will take you about 2 hours to strip, clean and re fit the bottle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Neal

Many thanks for the reply an interesting read.

I read on another post the common problems with the 1 series -

- Rear washer not working
- Sticky door handles

I have both. Tried cleaning the washer jet with a needle but still nothing. Whats the next step ?

Rear door handle sticks and is annoying when passengers get in and it doesn't shut. Tried spraying some WD4 in but no improvement. Is there a knack to this ?

Thanks
John
John, I had those exact problems as well...there is a door handle adjustment you can make if they are sticking, but leave that to the dealer if you are still under warranty. Same with the rear washer, but I fixed mine myself. Turned out to be blocked washer nozzle, and I wouldn't be surprised if yours is the same as it looks like a cr*p design (I used some small guage flexible wire because a needle will not go completely down the channel). You will probably hear the motor run and then stop because it is a safety feature if there are blockages in the washer system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.