BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's separate forum for intros but I'll start by saying I own a 2006 (E87) 120D, it has the M47 engine and has over 103k miles. It is my first car and I am keen to learn how to maintain it myself and do small jobs myself, namely servicing. I've just done a service, with help from a friend, took a lot longer than it should have but that's all part of the fun right?

So the Haynes manual suggest 5W30 and long life oil and the oil filler cap said BMW recommends Castrol, so I used the Castrol Edge Long Life 5W30. Now that I've done it, quick look at the Haynes manual again, technically says LL-04 oil, which my oil was not. My oil also doesn't come up when plugging the reg into Halford, Euro Car Parts or Opie Oils, not the precise oil anyway. I definitely did do the search on those sites before buying, but I must have misread the codes or something and then ending up ordering on eBay because there was a deal.

Now I'm not in panic mode thinking I've killed my engine, but am wondering if I've done any harm whatsoever. Should I be worried?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts