BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone i have just bought a bmw 116 that has been in a slight crash. 1 of the airbags in the roof has come out and the car will not start. when you put the key in and press the button it doesnt turn over or anything but when you bump the car it starts fine. i wonderd if there was a safety switch somewhere or it had to be plugged in. any help would be much apprechiated. thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i would expect some sort of reset especially if a roof airbag has been activated. sounds more than a slight crash if it has been activated???

·
Registered
89 Posts
i had a light ding in my e46 coupe, do you still have ign lights? try the battery positive terminal if it has a cigarette box sized black plastic thing on or around it its a detonator desinged to cut out all power apart from central locking and windows to shut off engine and fuel systems while allowing driver to escape! took a bit of head scratchin to find.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you deploy an airbag, the main power is severed above the battery.

The battery cable is effective broken. You can by pass it with another cable. We have done that on a race car.

On a road car you may want to get it fixed properly.

Cheers

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have just checked the battery cable and it has snapped like u said. can u buy these or do you have to buy the complete unit or could i bypass it? thanks

·
Registered
961 Posts
It's a safety system so I'd get it done properly.

Main dealer will probably want lots of money, but isn't being taken care of as part of your accident claim?

FAB sell secondhand ones and hire the tool to re-clamp the cable so you could DIY properly.

·
Registered
536 Posts
You need a whole new battery safety terminal, this will set you back around £290 from a dealer and I'd be inclined to buy one new. Basically it's a safety feature to cut the power in the event of an accident when the air bags are deployed to stop there being a short circuit and causing a fire. Buying a second hand one you would have to be sure that it wasn't from a vehicle which had also suffered from airbag deployment.

By-passing the system is not a great idea and I'm sure you regard your safety and the safety of anyone else with you in the car as of paramount importance. It's not a huge job to fix this yourself, however if your not confident of repairing yourself then an Indy would probably take around 30 mins to and hour to have you back up and running and it's less than paying BMW prices.

I'm assuming you've not gone the insurance route hence why this has not been attended to but it can't of been that minor if this has activated. My car was flung down a barrier on the A1 at 65mph, luckily the airbags never deployed and the battery safety system did not come into play but it was the first thing i checked after resisting to lamp the boy who caused the accident and I wouldn't have called my incident minor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, it's called a "blow off" lead. a second hand one will do fine(aslong as it hasn't blown like yours). takes about 5mins to change... u can bypass it for the time being while you get the car fixed..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, it's called a "blow off" lead. a second hand one will do fine(aslong as it hasn't blown like yours). takes about 5mins to change... u can bypass it for the time being while you get the car fixed..
Is there a description of the 5 min. change somewhere? Can you describe the bypass procedure?

Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts