BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just after I brought my 2006 X3 2.0D MSPORT we noticed a clunking noise from the rear when slowing down in traffic. It seemed to be coming from the transfer box I notified the garage that supplied the car and they sent it to their local BMW dealer for investigation, They conclude that it was the rear prop shaft which they removed and re-fitted, On receiving the car back the problem was still their so we took it to our local BMW dealer for inspection they concluded that a new transfer box was required. It was at this point we googled the issue and found that this was a common problem on the X3 caused by tyre miss match. Checking my tyres they were indeed miss matched having a different make on the front to rear. I also contacted my local kwik fit center for new tyres and was told they were instructed by BMW to not miss match tyres on an X3 as this can damage the transfer box.
Being now aware of the situation I contacted the dealer who supplied the car and it was agreed to return it once again to their BMW garage for further investigation. I took the car over to them today and after a complete wheel change from a stock X3 the Clunking noise completely disappeared.
I will be forwarding my experience to BMW UK although so far their dealerships seem to be generally unaware of this issue (Or are they?)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just after I brought my 2006 X3 2.0D MSPORT we noticed a clunking noise from the rear when slowing down in traffic. It seemed to be coming from the transfer box I notified the garage that supplied the car and they sent it to their local BMW dealer for investigation, They conclude that it was the rear prop shaft which they removed and re-fitted, On receiving the car back the problem was still their so we took it to our local BMW dealer for inspection they concluded that a new transfer box was required. It was at this point we googled the issue and found that this was a common problem on the X3 caused by tyre miss match. Checking my tyres they were indeed miss matched having a different make on the front to rear. I also contacted my local kwik fit center for new tyres and was told they were instructed by BMW to not miss match tyres on an X3 as this can damage the transfer box.
Being now aware of the situation I contacted the dealer who supplied the car and it was agreed to return it once again to their BMW garage for further investigation. I took the car over to them today and after a complete wheel change from a stock X3 the Clunking noise completely disappeared.
I will be forwarding my experience to BMW UK although so far their dealerships seem to be generally unaware of this issue (Or are they?)
my was clunking at low revs and when driving slow... new transfer case cost £2000 however solved the problem, i payed bmw to have a look and they said it was either the springs, the diff, the transfer box or tyres and concidering i had just bought the jeep i wasnt too please but it sounds liek you have the same problem. Jon :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
non approved tyre cause diff knock!!

Had a few of these for knocking & after extensive testing found that non approved tyres cause havoc with diff.

Use only BMW approved tyres

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the clunking noise from my 2005 X3 2.0D sport since I bought it in April 2010 (and eventually got it back from the Peter Vardy BMW after replacing turbo, cylinder head and gaskets and then the vibration damper and belt and then to an independent to run a new rear washer hose as PV wanted £928!)...anyway, got 4 new Dunlop SP01 235;50: R18 fitted today and the clunking noise has been resolved!! very suprised but there you go. hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well guys im up the wall with ours.Clunking noise and dragging effect all just before stopping after the clutch has been pressed.Had it back to the independant who researched it and messed about with it and came back with nothing.It was then sent to the BMW dealers who also came up with nothing.Its a 56 reg 2.0 litre with 40000 on the clock.It has had rear tyres fitted by the garage before we bought it but there not cheap ones.Booked in again in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well what a result thanks to this forum.I cut and paste this thread to the BMW garage(Newhalls of West Kirby).My car went in today they put 2 new tyres of exactly the same make on to match the existing two new ones and hey presto the dragging and clonking has gone.They even thanked me for the info and said they had no previous knowledge and would use it in future cases. Many thanks guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had these clunks and after reading the advice here re tyres, I tried swapping over front to rear on each side. Problem solved !!
So now have Pirelli Scorpion on the rear and Goodyear Excellent on the front. Once these are needing replacement will be going for same make all round.
X3 2005 with 96k on the clock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you

The post regarding the transfer box noises was 100% correct, i thought i would get a diagnosis from my local BMW dealer and was told it is a standard £99 fee for investigation and duly booked the car in but thankfully there was a 2 week wait. while reading this forum i found the post and went and checked the tyres on my x3 MSport and hey presto 2 different makes and pattern tyres fitted, to make things worse i measured the diameter of all 4 tyres and found the NSF bigger in diameter by 10mm. just to be sure i deflated the tyre to achieve the same diameter as the other 3 and the noise became noticeably better. Long story short 4 new Dunlops fitted yesterday and it's like driving a different car, no noise when slowing down and no jerking when accelerating what an excellent resource this forum is:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When reading the first post i was saying to my self that the different make of tyres could not cause a clunking noise but i am wrong could some one please explain why it effects so much if the size and profile of the tyres is the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, first time here!! Glad to come across this forum as I have exactly the same problem on my 54 2.0 D X3. I had replaced my standard SE 17" alloys to 19s running on 255/40/19 Eagle F1 and I never had any problems with these for over 2 years now until recently when I had a flat at the back and just couldnt be bothered to stop and change after a good night out so ended up tearing the tyre up! I put the standard 17' wheel back on 1 of the rears as I just couldnt find another exact tyre and as over a month had passed and still havn't found 1 I replaced both rears with Bridgestones RE050A 275/35/19 runflats and thats when the clunking and jerking started :mad. I was told that because I was running on 2 different sizes at the rear for quite some time I worn out the rear diff and it has to be replaced but I'm all confused now as from what i'm reading here it could be because I have different size tires to the front, is that correct as I was shopping around for a new diff and obviously dont fancy replacing it for nothing??? Thanks all

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hi all, first time here!! Glad to come across this forum as I have exactly the same problem on my 54 2.0 D X3. I had replaced my standard SE 17" alloys to 19s running on 255/40/19 Eagle F1 and I never had any problems with these for over 2 years now until recently when I had a flat at the back and just couldnt be bothered to stop and change after a good night out so ended up tearing the tyre up! I put the standard 17' wheel back on 1 of the rears as I just couldnt find another exact tyre and as over a month had passed and still havn't found 1 I replaced both rears with Bridgestones RE050A 275/35/19 runflats and thats when the clunking and jerking started :mad. I was told that because I was running on 2 different sizes at the rear for quite some time I worn out the rear diff and it has to be replaced but I'm all confused now as from what i'm reading here it could be because I have different size tires to the front, is that correct as I was shopping around for a new diff and obviously dont fancy replacing it for nothing??? Thanks all
Going by what is being said in the thread above i would first try change the front tyres to match what you have on the back or if you still have the 4 17" rims stick them on and see does it sort your problem

·
2,115 Posts
We tried to buy some tyres for our X3 recently from Costco. The fitter said that company policy was to fit four new tyres of the same type on X3s and X5s or nothing. Even though the fronts had loads of tread left. We now have brand new Scorpions on the back and slightly older ones on the front (not from Costco). No issues so far but I'll stick to the Pirellis just to make sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi All,

Reading the different posts it seems that the clunking coming from my x3 2007 2.0d man could be the tyres. Although all 4 are the same (perelli scorpians). could it still be the case if the tread is below 2mm??

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
e83 rear clunking

Hi

I'm new to this forum. I recently bought a 2005 x3 2.0d which has the rear clunking described on this and other forums - ie rumble under light acceleration when the car is warm.

On the front are Bridgestone Turanza 235/55/R17 with 3mm tread and the star on the sidewall.

On the rear are Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S 235/55/R17 with over 6mm tread.

I understand that it's necessary to have the same back and front to have a chance of eliminating the clunking problem, so if I replace the fronts with the same Yokohamas as those on the back, is it likely this will be okay - I ask because the Yokohamas fitted to the rear are not mentioned on the forums in relation to this problem - only Dunlops and Bridgestones appear to be mentioned on a regular basis. The previous owner perhaps was not aware of the need for the same tyres all round.

Also, as a matter of interest, does the rumbling/clunking become more noticeable when the car has been run for a while because the diff oil and/or tyres have warmed up?

Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I recently bought an 05 X3 2.0d with 81k miles, that has the knocking noise from the rear diff (which i didn't notice when i test drove it...bugger).

It has worn Pirelli Scorpions on the front, and new Nexen tyres on the rear.

So, on the strength of whats been said here. I've ordered a full set of star rated Bridgestones, to see if that will fix the dreaded clunking.

Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well, I had a full set of Bridgestone Turanza's fitted today, and......

WOW,!!...No more knocking and clunking from the rear diff.

its increadable what a difference fitting a set of Star Rated tyres has made. not only with curing the dreaded diff knock, but the ride and handling is now brillient.

thanks for info and advise on here...:thumbsup

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi.i have 2007 x3 2.0d have had vibration damper replaced plus a broken spring.i also have new approved set of pirellis.unfortunately it's still there.how do i convince my dealer to sort this prob out which i'm sure is the transfere box??
It's crazy but i really like the car but have never had such an unreliable one!!!hand brake snapped while in france last week,on the way home the engine warning light has come on....again,last year the turbo went while on holiday,2 years ago i had new air sensors,manifold,de-coked,reground valves!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Solved my problem

Bought my 2005 X3 20d from a private seller. Wondered why the car so cheap in perfect condition. Didn't pick up the clunk during short test drive !

Appears he put a cheap set of front tyres on for MOT and soon after got a fright (as I did) with nightmares of huge repair bills. No wonder he wanted to sell.

I read this forum and was sceptical that odd tyres could cause the problem. The Pirrelli Scorpion STRs on the back were fine so I got a couple more for the front. Hey presto. Knock gone !

Just a quick question.....Which tyres on an X3 wear the hardest ? I have assumed the front as they provide both drive and steering.

Great forum - cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bought my 2005 X3 20d from a private seller. Wondered why the car so cheap in perfect condition. Didn't pick up the clunk during short test drive !

Appears he put a cheap set of front tyres on for MOT and soon after got a fright (as I did) with nightmares of huge repair bills. No wonder he wanted to sell.

I read this forum and was sceptical that odd tyres could cause the problem. The Pirrelli Scorpion STRs on the back were fine so I got a couple more for the front. Hey presto. Knock gone !

Just a quick question.....Which tyres on an X3 wear the hardest ? I have assumed the front as they provide both drive and steering.

Great forum - cheers
Yes, i had exactly the same concerns as you when i bought my X3 with mis-matched tyres.
Since then i've done 10k + miles on a set of Bridgestone Turaza's.
So far, they appear to be wearing evenly all round, and are excellent tyres.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts