BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have covered 47,000 miles in my car and I think that I have got to the point where my front discs need replacing !!

A couple of questions,

1, Is 47,000 a good mileage for a set of discs ?

2, Any suggestions for replacing them, should I go for BMW ones or after market ?

Appreciate all your help..:thumbsup

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neal,

There is a little lip on the disc, idrive says 10,000 miles left on the brakes, but I have started to get a wobble through the steering wheel under braking, so just assumed this was wrapped discs ?

Any other ideas ?

Cheers
Phil

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neal,

I have just had all 4 wheels refurbished and balanced, when the wobble started I thought balancing too..I have had it all checked and all is ok..I only get the wobble when I brake not when I driving normally which rules wheel balancing out !!

I have had a look around and no one makes after market discs for the 535d, I can only get BMW ones...Ouch! I am looking at £700.00 to get them changed....

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you get some ATE disc and ATE or textar pads for eurocarparts or gsf be fine. Alot of time serv ind on dash can be out, if car has been programmed changes cbs data and should be corrected but very rarely done so all cbs data is out.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Neal,

There is a little lip on the disc, idrive says 10,000 miles left on the brakes, but I have started to get a wobble through the steering wheel under braking, so just assumed this was wrapped discs ?

Any other ideas ?

Cheers
Phil
The wobble could also be down to worn/weak suspension bushes or ball joints, will be a good idea to get them checked as well. The MOT stations with shaker plates are best for these to find the play.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Have my own garage and have had some big problems with stuff from euro shit bits as we call them,sorry for bad language!!!!!....I have an e60 and replaced mine with genuine BMW,get an indy to do job with genuine parts,save you a few quid.Target price all in £350 ish,or book it in with me......

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your help and guidance guys.

Just an update to say that I have managed to get some genuine BMW discs and pads fitted through a tyre / brake depot for half the price....So happy driving and braking days once more...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.