BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted an almost identical thread to this for my uncles car. Well, now I have the same problem!!

To explain, I replaced both front tyres shortly after buying the car last March as one was out of shape and giving bad noise and vibration. Front discs and pads have been replaced as have the rear discs and pads. Rear tyres have about 3mm left.

My noise, sounds like bearings noise appears to come from front nearside. When I load up the left hand side of car, noise is louder. When I put weight on right hand side of car, noise goes. Comes on after about 10mph and gets louder the faster I go. It increases in pitch the faster I go and decreases accordingly.

The front left wheel bearing was replaced as I thought it was that - no difference
The rear left was replaced today - no difference.

So, what else can it be?

·
Registered
388 Posts
To tell if you're bearing gone jack up said whel and rock it side to side and forwards, backwards to see if there's any play.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. I have been out this morning and taken the front near side off, then the brakes and had a good look - Nothing untoward. My disc is slightly warped even though they are new, so must have been heavy with the brakes as soon as put them on!

Put the space saver on and took it fro a drive and noise still there, so can pretty much rule out tyres. Bearing has been replaced so Im stumped.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cheers guys. I have been out this morning and taken the front near side off, then the brakes and had a good look - Nothing untoward. My disc is slightly warped even though they are new, so must have been heavy with the brakes as soon as put them on!

Put the space saver on and took it fro a drive and noise still there, so can pretty much rule out tyres. Bearing has been replaced so Im stumped.
I would say it's a tyre problem,you don't say what make of tyres have been fitted but certain tyre treads can cause this problem,especially budget ones.
You seem unsure as to what side the noise is coming from but even so,if it is tyre related and both the fronts are the same brand you wouldn't cure the problem just by swapping one side with the spare.
I would beg,borrow a pair of front wheels and try again.
You should of eliminated the other causes from what you have already changed.
The only other thing it could be is a sticking caliper piston,i doubt it but i wouldn't rule it out.
Also,check the tyres to see if they are directional as if they have been fitted back to front this can also cause this problem.;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to see Autotech in Telford last week and spoke to Peter (top guy) who diagnosed the problem as Front right bearing! Now, always thought it was front left due to the nature of noise location and the fact that when the left wheel was loaded the noise was there, when the right is loaded, the noise goes. Well, this is ture with standard wheel bearings, but the E60 has twin roller berings (or something like that) which means when a bad bearingis loaded, the bearings compress and the slack goes in them and it goes quiet, the complete opposite to standard bearings.

I had pointed out that my front right felt dry, but discounted it on the basis which I have just explained.

So, I went back to Stoke where I had the first front right bearing replaced (for no reason as it happens) and he had a front right bearing which he wasnt using. He fitted it for me and charged me labour only (no disrespect to Peter's offer) and its quiet as ever now.

Over the moon, that noise was driving round the bend and was progressively getting louder and with the knowledge I have on wheel bearings, I could not fatham what it could be.

So, to clarify, NORMAL wheel bearings go quiet when there is no load on them and get noisier when loaded up. The E60 has twin roller bearings and in the case of a bad bearing, they get quieter when loaded up, the complete opposite!

One to note when diagnosing which bearing!

I now have 4 new wheel bearings - my lesson learnt!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
Well,iv'e said it before and i'll say it again,you live and learn.
i've been in the trade since 76 and that foxed me but in my defence:)embarrassed) it's always harder to diagnose a problem over the phone/internet:embarrassed:rofl:rofl:rofl:thumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Wheel bearings that are on the way out do not always show free play when jacked up, if you've got a rumble though you can usually hear something if you spin the wheel while jacked. Personally I just open each window independantly to check which one gives the loudest noise, worked for me, then I jacked it up to confirm.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Went to see Autotech in Telford last week and spoke to Peter (top guy) who diagnosed the problem as Front right bearing! Now, always thought it was front left due to the nature of noise location and the fact that when the left wheel was loaded the noise was there, when the right is loaded, the noise goes. Well, this is ture with standard wheel bearings, but the E60 has twin roller berings (or something like that) which means when a bad bearingis loaded, the bearings compress and the slack goes in them and it goes quiet, the complete opposite to standard bearings.

I had pointed out that my front right felt dry, but discounted it on the basis which I have just explained.

So, I went back to Stoke where I had the first front right bearing replaced (for no reason as it happens) and he had a front right bearing which he wasnt using. He fitted it for me and charged me labour only (no disrespect to Peter's offer) and its quiet as ever now.

Over the moon, that noise was driving round the bend and was progressively getting louder and with the knowledge I have on wheel bearings, I could not fatham what it could be.

So, to clarify, NORMAL wheel bearings go quiet when there is no load on them and get noisier when loaded up. The E60 has twin roller bearings and in the case of a bad bearing, they get quieter when loaded up, the complete opposite!

One to note when diagnosing which bearing!

I now have 4 new wheel bearings - my lesson learnt!!
I've just read this post now but I knew it was your bearing. Its not just the 5 that has the twin roller type bearings, its all BMW's hence you hardly feel any free play in the wheel when the bearings gone. And the other characteristics of going round corners and noise on the opposite side :thumbsup

Another way to tell which of the bearings are on their way out is to feel for excessive heat at the hub after a drive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
wheel bearings

:hihi
Hi guys, I have been a mechanic for over 30 years and i must tell you

where wheel bearings are concerned, its very difficult to determine which side the rumble is coming from as the noise transfers across the suspension components. The front ones are usually the first to fail,as they carry all the weight of the engine etc.
so my advice to you is that as both sides have probably covered the same mileage,change them both anyway !

Theres only one sure way to tell which one is making a noise and thats to spin one wheel up on rollers while stationary,and where can you do that ?

Anyway,just to prove the point i have just changed my front left bearing and the rumble is still there,so i even plumped for the wrong one ! It could have been both noisy.
No matter , because i am changing the other side this weekend. :D

(it only takes the smallest mark on your bearing race to make it rumble,so most of the time there is no play to be felt if you jack up the car,especially with the double roller type)

·
Registered
5 Posts
bearings

Hi Marty,
Yes, very true but these days the cost is a major factor with most
of us,i got a trade discount on my front hub/bearing assembly. but it still cost over a hundred quid for the one side,and i am fitting myself.
Imagine the poor sod who has to pay to have it fitted also !
Then times that by 2.
I can understand why people try to get away with just changing one bearing.

Sods law sees to it that its not the one you have changed that is making the rumble usually. :hihi

·
Banned
179 Posts
mmm ,well i thought wheel bearings where supposed to last the life of the car
or is that wishful thinking!!!!
in 25 years of motoring ive changed 1,,that was in a xantia after quick fit had replaced pads in the front and left the pads dragging on the disc:mad
overheated the bearing within a hundred miles
i argued the toss it was their fault but got nowhere
even after making them put it on the lift,,wheels free,,third gear,revving it quite hard ,,near side spinning freely offside stuck,
they still wouldnt believe there was a problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts