BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am looking to upgrade the speakers in my E60. I have the normal Business radio but dont know the sizes.

Does anyone have documentation or online link I could get sizes from?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Pretty sure they are 4" in the front doors and rear parcel shelf. Then the standard radio will have a 6.5" mid driver under both front seats. They do have obscure screwing points from what I remember though so if you bought 3rd party you'd probably need to make an adapter from MDF or similar. I know an audio company who makes direct replacements but it's not cheap...

I'm currently upgrading my audio...I've taken the high signal from the rear speakers, converted it to low level, amped it all up and connected the 4 4" speakers to an amp, added tweeters to the front and rear speakers (£30 a pair from Germany (ebay) - but don't know the size - sorry!) which just connect straight in and the hole is already there. I've also added a sub to the boot...I've left the 6.5" mids for now but will open it up to have a look when I get a chance. They can accommodate 8" drivers I'm lead to believe, however depth is very limited!

I'll do a write up in the near future :)

Needless to say, the sound quality is now nothing short of superb. The speaker quality in the BM's is actually very, very good - it is simply the standard amplifier that lets them down.

Gareth

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking that I connect the rear speaker feed in to an amp. Bridge it then run a 10" sub from it. Then try and get another feed to run the 4 4" speakers. Im thinkiung that might be enough for me. Did you just buy replacements for the 4" ones then?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nope I kept the standard 4" speakers, just cut the connectors and wired them onto the amp. They sound excellent when amplified.

Your idea is essentially what I have done, I just used a 15" sub.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope I kept the standard 4" speakers, just cut the connectors and wired them onto the amp. They sound excellent when amplified.

Your idea is essentially what I have done, I just used a 15" sub.
Oh right....ok

Thats better then. I thought I would have to replace them. Ill probably just do that then. How did you amp the front speakers?

Would you recommend the 15" sub?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just ran the wire from the boot under the trim panels down the side of the car and soldered them into the speaker wires.

I used a 15" sub because it was left over from my old car. It packs a very mean punch...but to be honest if I was buying afresh I'd just buy a decent 10 or 12" sub - you're not gonna notice much difference and it would take up less space!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just ran the wire from the boot under the trim panels down the side of the car and soldered them into the speaker wires.

I used a 15" sub because it was left over from my old car. It packs a very mean punch...but to be honest if I was buying afresh I'd just buy a decent 10 or 12" sub - you're not gonna notice much difference and it would take up less space!
Ill probably get a 10" just for that extra thump.

Speaker wires from the door beloes? cut them then solder to the wire to the amp??

So if im using the rear speaker feed to the sub what feed would I use for the amp for the 4 4" speakers?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah just cut the wires from the current speakers and solder on the wires from the amp. Make sure to get the polarity right...I can't remember which is what - I'll try dig it out from somewhere!

How many amps are you using then? I've just got a 4x150w (RMS) amp. I've put the front 2 speakers on one channel and the rear 2 on another, giving me 75w RMS per channel. Then I've got the sub bridged across the remaining 2 channels giving me 300w RMS on that.

Because it's all using the same amp you don't need another feed from anywhere else...and if you're using more than 1 amp you can usually just link them with phono cables and they will share the same signal.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah just cut the wires from the current speakers and solder on the wires from the amp. Make sure to get the polarity right...I can't remember which is what - I'll try dig it out from somewhere!

How many amps are you using then? I've just got a 4x150w (RMS) amp. I've put the front 2 speakers on one channel and the rear 2 on another, giving me 75w RMS per channel. Then I've got the sub bridged across the remaining 2 channels giving me 300w RMS on that.

Because it's all using the same amp you don't need another feed from anywhere else...and if you're using more than 1 amp you can usually just link them with phono cables and they will share the same signal.
Was thinking of 2 amps. 1 running the sub and another running the speakers. Didnt know you could connect them to get the same feed. Thats cool then.

Where do you get your ignition feed from?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, most support it. Do check first though!

I just wrapped it round one of the fuses for the cigar lighter in the boot.
ooooh. Dont know if I have the lighter in the boot....

·
Registered
80 Posts
No, the fuse for the lighter!

As in just wrap the wire round the fuse and plug it back in, the fuse box is located on the right hand side of the boot by the battery.

I'm sure some electrics guru would frown on it but it's only to tell the amp to turn on, not going to put any stress on the electrics...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, the fuse for the lighter!

As in just wrap the wire round the fuse and plug it back in, the fuse box is located on the right hand side of the boot by the battery.

I'm sure some electrics guru would frown on it but it's only to tell the amp to turn on, not going to put any stress on the electrics...
Ok cool. sounds like an idea. I will probably do the same. I take it your not getting errors from that and the fuse would be labelled in the manual?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope no errors - and the fuse table on mine is located under the tool kit bit on the boot lid - when you unscrew that.

Good luck! :thumbsup
Oh yeah remember seeing that before.

Cheers for all the advice matey. Ill let you know how I get on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts