BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,
Looking for some advice of where to start.
Apologies in advance for the length of this, wanted to highlight a few points.
1st thing, my service was due end of Feb so I'm a few weeks overdue.
Service setting in I-drive shows air filter particle filter and Brake fluid as needing replaced and the car on ramp icon is there stipulating service needed.
Says air filter -10k miles overdue but this has not been visible before as overdue. I haven't even done 10k miles since I bought her(from Harry Fairbairn BMW) and I'd have thought all these things would have been 'fresh' from the pre-sale service. The car today has 33k on the clock.

Owned the car for a year with no issues.
Yesterday at 1.10pm, she wouldn't start for the 1st time ever.
'Car on ramp' display icon for the 1st time and nothing when I pushed the start button.
Not a click from the ignition...nothing(only other visible message was that the clock needed reset(which I did)
(should add that the weather up here late Thursday and in the small hours of Friday was very wild, very wet and windy)

Got the jump leads out and used the other halves car to jump. Jumped OK.
After it jumped and started, there was a message about airbag / seatbelt failure. I drove off with the airbag and seatbelt red lights on. My drive was approx 18 miles to my destination. When I parked the car I did notice a very high pitched tone coming from the boot, back right hand side*.
I left the car for approx 1hr, came back, high pitched tone had vanished, car started ok. No error messages other than the car on ramp(service needed)
Drove home, parked the car at approx 4.30pm....
Went back out at 9pm, started ok...short drive of a few miles.
Checked again at 11.30 pm....Dead. Same issue as earlier in the day.
Car on Ramp and not a peep from the start button.
Left it and went to bed.

Today around noon I went back out....
Car on Ramp icon, and the clock needing reset again (which i did)...
I did notice a message on screen though this time about a battery Discharge/Interuption or words to that effect.
Pressed the start button anyway and to my surprise she started ?
I sat with the engine running a few minutes, whilst sitting, the blowers stopped working. So no fan, any setting, nothing (never had an issue before although on the odd occasion I've started and the aircon light and air con came on (never had it on when last used(assumed it was maybe a demisting or auto feature so never worried me)

Just tried her again(5.05pm)....
Started fine....
No car on ramp icon and clock setting was fine.
As I'm writing this I have clicked that I forgot to check if the blowers were working...

So jumped back out 5.17pm,
Car on Ramp Icon back
Clock Now Needs reset(no message about battery drain or anything but something killed the Power long enough to knock the time off(in the last 10 mins or so ?)
Blowers are now working.
oh and she still starts.
I have not seen and mention of airbag failure or seatbelt things since the 1st time (directly after my jump start)

Anyone have a clue....
I took a little look at the battery* after discovering today it was in the boot. No signs of moisture, nothing that looked weird (apart from the battery in the rear)

I'll give her a turn over again tonight before bed and update.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can you take a pic of the battery and post it up? Also a close up on the negative lead...I wont to look at the condition of your IBS :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do.....
On the negative lead...the IBS, thats close to the nagative battery terminal?

Just want to be sure what I'm looking at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
7pm last night: All is well, she starts fine. I reset the clock.
Midnight: all is well, she starts fine, time on clock is fine.

4pm today: all is well, she starts fine, Clock has the right time. No error messages, just service overdue.

Pictures for you NealP:
Battery:
URL=http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/20110313-6tbn-71kb]
[/URL]
IBS: Not sure if the little white spots are water marks?

Boot: reason I show this is that cardboard box.

Box:
URL=http://my.jetscreenshot.com/demo/20110313-2ymy-60kb]
[/URL]

Now is it possible Water did get in that wet and Wild Thursday night and this was the cause of my problems? Maybe a short with the water getting to the battery / ibs or indeed any of those fuses.
Should the fuses be exposed like this? No cover? Just the big carpet enclosure it seems:

What do I have in and around those fuses that could give off the high pitched tone I noticed on Friday? Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
That relay in the corner would go mental if there was water in there...may explain that noise and looks like you have the older open IBS. Again, moisture would cause the problems you are having.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Your battery is very old indeed too, the 24/06 on the terminal is 24th week of 2006 so I reckon its been on there since new. Some of my relays made some odd noises when the battery was hovering around 10 volts when it was knackered. The water could be a problem, as NealIP says but bear in mind with the saloon car if you use the remote to flip the boot open, it swings up quite quick and can often splash a bit of water at the stuff around the openings. If it is actually leaking you will have water around the base of the battery and under the spare wheel well so check these areas too. Also pull the cell caps off the battery and look into the cells. All should have fluid above the plates and if you turn on a whole load of electrics with the engine not running but ignition on, no cells should fizz any more than others. One cell fizzing= battery FUBARD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts